What to do when menubar is full?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aaagat111, Jan 13, 2011.

1. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

I have so many things running in my menu bar that it is full...meaning that any new applications that requires menu bar space are not shown (because they are so far to the left, and the application menu options take front priority over them).

What do people usually do when this happens besides just not running some of the menu bar apps (since that is really not a reasonable solution in this case)?

Thanks,

Alex

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Look through the preferences of those apps. Many will let you turn the menubar icon off and on. If you still can't get enough space, then you'll have to quit some of those apps.

Even if you're running a 13" MacBook, surely you don't absolutely need every single one of those menubar icons!

3. aaagat111 thread starter macrumors regular

aaagat111

The more I think of it, there is definitely not a way to get any more space. I guess the only option here is to quit/hide some of the apps.

It's a shame but oh well...

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

So absolutely none of the apps have a way to turn off the menubar icon without quitting the app? Unless they're all menubar specific apps... in which case you're using up a lot of CPU/RAM just running that many.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Use a bigger screen.
    Change your resolutions.
    Buy a magnifying glass.

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I just want to see a screenshot of your menubar...with just Finder as the active app.

7. aaagat111 thread starter macrumors regular

aaagat111

this seems to be about the most I can fit. I understand i don't need all of these, especially the istats monitor, but was simply looking to see if anybody had an alternative

[​IMG]

8. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You could leave all the numerical info for MenuMeters and just turn off the graphs, and then you have Finder in the Dock, so you could remove it without losing functionality I think. That would free up a decent bit of space.

9. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Some of those icons are not really needed. For example, you have an Adobe updater icon there with 17 awaiting updates....click on it and run the update then the icon goes and you gain space.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Take bmcgonag's advice. You could also drop the numerical info and change the graphs to a more compact icon (the CPU graphs could be thermometers, for example). Also drop the percentage tag on the battery, it will show it when you click on it anyway.

But, yeah, getting rid of the extra/redundant data shown in iStat Menus will free up tons of space.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Remove some of the items you may not frequently use such as the BT icon, change the battery status to icon only etc.

You're rather limited in terms of available options as already mentioned.
    Increase the resolution, or start removing icons to make room.

12. rien333 macrumors regular

My tips: Instead of iStat menus you can use those things:
    1. Apple's own utility called "Activity monitor". You can find it with spotlight or in the applications folder and then in the Utilities folder.

2. You can download the iStat widget for dashboard, which does the same, but in dashboard: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatnano.html
    Here is the pro version (paid) : http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html

3. Display all the process related things on your desktop with geektool:
    http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/customize_your_desktop_geektool

And like others have said, you can hide the airport, bluetooth, and Time Machine icons with system preferences. And while you're in system preferences, take a look in the date and time section and see if you can live without the day displaying in your menubar.

Hope I helped. :)

13. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

14. aaagat111 thread starter macrumors regular

aaagat111

Thank you all very much for you replies. Almost all of the generic icons such as time machine, bluetooth, and airport I use insanely frequently, so removing them isn't an option but I will take the suggestions of trying to limit the istat space as well as some of the other suggestions.

Alex