What to do when Repair Disk does not repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by larrycrutcher, Sep 2, 2010.

1. larrycrutcher macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.16f11
    Serial Number (system): W87422DCYAM
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B63A49B75

OS X 10.5.8

I am unable to use my OS X disks to boot from. The DVD drive tries to read and then ejects them. Blank DVD's can be formatted and written. The text below is what repair disk reports:

Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BrowserKit.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/LeopardPanels.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .
    ACL found but not expected on "Applications/Utilities".

Permissions repair complete

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you,
    Larry

2. larrycrutcher thread starter macrumors newbie

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. larrycrutcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, read that one too. Their solution is to "contact Apple" and fork over $$. I was hoping someone has a suggestion on how to force my MacBook Pro to reboot from OS disk so I can re-install my operating system and start over.

This Mac has many issues that are getting worse over time. For instance, it takes 6 minutes or longer to boot. Programs hang and require Force Quit. Mouse quits for short periods and so on.

Thank you again.
    Larry

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make a trip to the Genius Bar. The problems you described both here and in the other thread you started on this subject are not normal. Millions of Macs run for years without such problems. They won't be solved in an internet forum. Take your Mac to Apple and get your issues resolved.

6. larrycrutcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again but there are no Mac stores in Montana. The closest location is 450 miles away in Salt Lake City.

Does anyone else know how to force a Mac to boot from the DVD?

Larry

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

Have you tried blowing air into the DVD drive? If that doen't work and there is something wrong with your DVD drive, so until you can get it fixed, you will have to work around it. Do you have a friend with a fairly new Mac? One that can read Dual layer DVD disks? Ask your friend to use the System Profiler to check the Hardware/Disk Burning item and see what it says, ie. -R DL or +R DL, or both.
    Get an external HD, USB or Firewire, and partition it to 2 Partitions. Then adjust the size of the first partition to 20 GB or so (even 10 GB is enough but usually Disk Utility won't let you go that low, anyway it doesn't matter). Then use Disk Utility to Restore the Mac OS X Install DVD to the small partition on the HD.
    Then plug in the HD to the Mac with the bad drive, and restart hollding down the Option Key. You should be able to select the first external drive icon and boot up from it just as if it were the real Install DVD so you can use it to reinstall the system.
    :cool::apple::cool:

8. larrycrutcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your suggestions.

I am able to access movie DVD's, import CD's into iTunes, Format blank DVD's but not access ANY of the OS X system DVD's. I had Apple send me another 10.5 OS X when this problem first occurred and it was fine to reload OS x 10.5 after the hard drive crashed. Now it too will not be read. All DVD's are kept in pristine condition.

No one else in my universe has a Mac. I am going to be in Arizona this winter. I think there are Mac stores there.

Larry