What to do when screen "shatters?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abooch1, Mar 25, 2009.

1. abooch1 macrumors regular

Yep I dropped it...it still works and everything the screen is very cracked... Its a launch day phone...How much will it cost to fix?

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Depends on where you go. I think Apple charges $250? (Last I heard anyway but that was a while back for the original iPhone). You can buy do it yourself kits for as little as $15 on Ebay.

Most kits on Ebay are $50-60 and include tools plus the glass. There are even instructional videos on YouTube about how to do so.

So the question becomes: How adventurous do you want to be with your iPhone?

3. abooch1 thread starter macrumors regular

250 thats nuts....anything more then 50 bucks is nuts.. i mean i jailbreak my phone and everything...

4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

It happened to me and my wife, both. We both got it replaced for free by a genius. YMMV, but be polite and honest and you might get hooked up.

5. diemos macrumors 6502

apple charges $250, put it on ebay or see if you can get it replaced. good luck to you, i know the feeling sucks.

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

$250 is the cost of the glass and probably labor. Apple charges ridiculous prices for their parts too. I got the CD drive replaced in my old MBP and when I got the repair receipt (AppleCare, didn't have to pay) and the CD Drive was ~$350 + $80 labor.

I'd go for the kit, since the 3G iPhone is simpler to repair than the 2G.

In the future you might consider accidental damage insurance, it could save you an arm and a leg when it comes to your electronics.

7. abooch1 thread starter macrumors regular

8. richg916 macrumors regular

A co-worker just had his replaced for $100.00 through Apple. Wonder why there are so many price differences??? I guess it all depends on your luck and/or attitude ???

9. abooch1 thread starter macrumors regular

can anyway suggest a replacement screen from ebay or anywhere else...I'll just do it myself..

10. jason72780 macrumors regular

My replacement at apple was $200, but had insurance on it so it only ended up costing me $15 cause they dropped my personal articles policy right after.

11. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

With the exception of battery replacement, Apple charges a uniform $199 for all out-of-warranty "repairs" for the 8GB iPhone 3G, and $299 for all out-of-warranty "repairs" for the 16GB iPhone 3G. (For battery replacement, if there's absolutely nothing else wrong with the iPod physically, Apple charges a uniform $79.)

For the original iPhone, the price is $199 for all 4GB and 8GB iPhones, and $249 for all 16GB iPhones.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

It doesn't matter what the nature of the damage is, as long as Apple deems it to be "repairable". The price is always the same. (If it isn't repairable, Apple will send it back to you. Normally, "not repairable" means that it was exposed to liquid or has been disassembled into multiple pieces, but it may also be due to other causes.)

You don't actually get your iPhone repaired if you send it in to Apple, by the way. Apple sends you back a replacement unit (either new or refurbished). Then Apple attempts to refurbish your old iPhone and either use it as a replacement for somebody else's "repair" job, or else sell it in the Refurbished section of Apple's online store.

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

WOW what is the difference between the 8 and 16 gig besides the amount of stuff it holds?

13. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The people that bought a 16 gig have more money.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its because they give you a completely new phone, they dont fix the screen

a 16gig is worth more than a 8 gig obviously

15. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Ask Apple first. I had a friend who went in and they declined to replace it, but two weeks later my girlfriend dropped her phone and the glass broke. We took it in and they were kind enough to replace it with a "white box" iPhone. So it all depends, it's not going to hurt to try.

16. cualexander macrumors 6502a

No I don't work for these people, but I dropped my iphone and it cracked like all spiderweb and stuff. I sent it in to missionrepair.com for $130 they fixed it and shipped it back to me, two days later. I kid you not. It was really amazing, and really quick turn around.

That's as long as just the glass is broken. If its the actual LCD, then its more.

I should add for $60, you can get the do-it-yourself kit. I was just afraid to screw it up.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure what this means. It should be cheaper because you jailbreak?

18. vilim12 macrumors regular

Makes no sense to me either lol