What to do when selling 3GS. This is what I did.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Luba, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Before selling my 3GS I filled it with music to overwrite data. Then I did a Erase Content and Settings. Any benefit of filling it with music, or is it just as good to do an Erase Content and Settings? BTW, I had iTunes do an automatic fill-up, but still there was about 420 MB that couldn't be filled-up/used. Is that remaining 420MB or so the iOS?

The buyer then told me he wanted to check the 3GS's serial number and see for sure it was a 32GB 3GS so I re-activated it. With the re-activated 3GS could the buyer find out my phone number or get any data, personal data or otherwise?

Thanks for any info!

2. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

3GS's Erase Content and Settings is much faster than 3G because on the 3GS it's erasing the encryption key. But if someone, however unlikely, were able to hook into the 3GS's drive could they see the data or would all the data be scrambled or encrypted?

Don't know much about encryption and don't know what it means when the encryption key is deleted. When the key is deleted, what happens to the data?

Thanks again for any info!