What to do when traveling abroad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by desertman, Jul 23, 2016.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

I'm traveling to Brazil tomorrow. While there I still want to use my iPhone - however, not as cell phone but only through Wi-Fi.

How do I do that best? Do I have to remove the SIM card, or is it enough to switch off voice and data roaming in the settings?

2. ErnstStavroBlohard macrumors member

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

If you feel paranoid then remove the SIM card as you say. So your iPhone will not be able to do anything related to cellular anymore during your trip. This is also the best solution for you.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

There's no need to remove the SIM. The first response above hit the nail on the head. Just set to airplane mode, but then turn wi-fi on. As long as you see the airplane icon your phone should not be sending or receiving data over cellular.

5. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Yeah. Although I believe hardware solution is better than software one.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Turn off Mobile Data in the Settings too.

Just another safety net.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I just don't like removing my SIM if I don't need to. So easy to get lost or destroyed.

8. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

As mentioned above just trun on the airplane mode and then use wifi simple and hassle free method rather than taking risk of removing the sim card (all your cellular related activities willbe turned off automatically after airplane mode on)

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Do not remove the sim. This can remove your number from iMessage and cause you issues receiving messages.

Just turn airplane mode on and wifi back on after like above. Or turn roaming off.