What to do with 2nd Laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GeekOFComedy, Dec 25, 2009.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Hi, So as X-Mas came I got a new MacBook Pro 13" And have been wondering what to do with a perfectly good fine 17" MacBook Pro as I now only seem to use my desktop and the 13", Any suggestions that don't include giving it to someone or selling it. Thanks! :apple: :apple:

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Seems like it'll just go to waste. I would set it up as a server/media center if you really insist on keeping it. Although a Mac mini would be better suited for that then a MBP.

3. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

1. add it to your home theater system by hooking it up to your tv and then you can look at photos, watch stuff online or in iTunes, listen to music on your stereo(get a wireless mouse and put it with your other remotes)

2. make it into a home server/wireless base station

3. put it on your counter and make everyone jealous

4. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

If it gives you any more input my PC is a hackintosh. Also I am a video editor so I was thinking of doing the first encoding run on the Hackintosh. Transfer the encoded files to the 17" Laptop then when finished editing transfer the project to the hackintosh and export as the MacBook Pro has a less chance of failure rate and Pro res 444 Proxy doesn't need to be rendered during editing. As media centers I was thinking of connecting the Laptop to my TV with front row and have the Apple Remote handy when not editing so at the end of the day sit in bed watch a episode of heroes or 24 or something. @Hary333 I like the idea of the extender in my room but the truth is my house is quite small and you get full range through out the house because it's 802.11N. However I'm looking into the media centre idea as I like the idea.

@ Hary*333 what do you use all your computers for.

5. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

just another thing that my friend was trying to do in his house is create the ultimate mac house by writing software that would allow him to control lights, appliances, ac, and etc.
    but this is an extreme

6. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL I'm living in my parents house, I'm not 18 yet so controlling appliances is not for me, Sometimes I make habits of saying my house by accident.