What to do with a B&W G3

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by mrkramer, Apr 6, 2007.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I just got a B&W G3, I am planning on using it a a print and file server, but is there anything else that I can do with it?

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah I slapped in 3 750 GB Seagate drives to make it my movie and iTunes server. Very sweet 2.25 TB of information.

I plan to store my photos on it too.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

just curious, what drivers are you using to allow the G3 to recognize the full capacity. Or do you just externally format and then install?

4. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Probably using a PCI ATA/SATA card.

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Is that the "new media card reader in the sig."? I'm just curious because I've recently acquired four 200 GB seagates for free and have several B&W's laying around at work.

6. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

No... you could put those drives in a B&W but they would only be recognized as 128GB each. If you wanted the full space, you'd have to get a compatible PCI controller card, from e.g. Firmtek, Sonnet, etc.

7. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

8. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I have the original B/W 300, the one that is suppose to be the worst model due to some hardware issue. It works great for everything I do (Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXPress, Unreal Tournament GOTY edition. Get yourself a PCI controller card, add new HDs and max the RAM (1GB). It will run OS 9 fantastic, I also have mine to boot OS 10.2.8 off another HD, that is what I use for internet, email and iTunes. I haven't shut it down in 3 years, just re-boot for what OS I need to use. Great computer.

9. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah I use a Sonnet PCI-133 card and man that thing flies like it's never tomorrow.

I will get a Mac Pro someday or Mac Mini but for right now this things kicks ice! :):apple:

Seriously you can still run Photoshop pretty decent even on a 300mhz. Don't let the naysayers get to you.

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The B&W is a great system.

After I sold my G5, and my iBook I had to switch back to that as my primary system for about a week until I got my MacBook. To this day I still use it to watch iTunes TV shows and Movies, many videos I have ripped for use on either my iPod or just watch videos on my computer screen.

It is still hooked up to my Surround sound system in my computer room, to which I connect my MacBook or other devices to listen to music, or watch videos taking advantage of that connection.

It also works great to record Internet radio streams using Garageband. I really am impressed with how well this system handles multimedia, but then again, these things used to be screaming fast back in their time too!

Current Config
    Powermac G3 B&W REV.B
    500 MHZ G4 ZIF upgrade
    256mb RAM (Need to max it out still)
    1x 120gb IDE hdd
    2x 20 GB IDE hdd
    OS X (Current version)
    iLife 05

11. blakespot Administrator

blakespot