Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Got the blinky folder of doom last night on my 2015 12in Retina MacBook. Took it to the local Apple Store today and they said SSD was DEAD, $575 flat rate depot repair. Tech's suggestion, based on age and repair history (two logic boards since July 2019), was to buy a new one and give up on this one. I have a personal articles policy on my MacBook, so my agents gets a call in the morning. Hopefully they will payout replacement value, and not repair value.

Assuming its replaced, what do I do with the dead 12in? Thought about listing it for parts on eBay, but I worry about someone recovering the SSD and thus getting to my data. Thought about repair, then sell, but at $575+ tax for repair, I REALLY doubt I'd recover that cost with selling it. Thoughts? Play "Will it Blend"? Play "Will it stop a bullet"? Frisbee? Tear it down for the hell of it just to see whats inside? I guess I could tear it apart, sell the display on eBay. Thoughts??

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I just sold a 2017 512GB MacBook 12 for $500. Perfect condition with 1+ years of AppleCare+ on it. They're out there. Sell yours for parts and buy a newer one.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Luke Miani did a video on this recently - showed just what you can get for a MacBook if you tear it down and list parts on eBay.

The second hand market for 12" machines is very good at the moment so I bet you'll get decent cash back.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Luke Miani did a video on this recently - showed just what you can get for a MacBook if you tear it down and list parts on eBay.

The second hand market for 12" machines is very good at the moment so I bet you'll get decent cash back.

LOL....I just saw that very video last night. Now, do I part out, or just sell it whole??? Hummmmm

I thought it was interesting that he said the 12in Retina's were "notorious" for having SSD issues.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
LOL....I just saw that very video last night. Now, do I part out, or just sell it whole??? Hummmmm

I thought it was interesting that he said the 12in Retina's were "notorious" for having SSD issues.

Yeah, I picked-up on that too - it wasn't something I was really aware of, but its difficult to keep on top of everything going-on with Macs these days.

servenvolley

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
South Carolina
I wouldn't do anything with it just yet. Most of the time the insurance company wants the product it is replacing. It is up to them as to what happens to it once they have given you either money or a replacement product. How this happens depends on the policy language.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
I wouldn't do anything with it just yet. Most of the time the insurance company wants the product it is replacing. It is up to them as to what happens to it once they have given you either money or a replacement product. How this happens depends on the policy language.

I asked that question, they have stated they do not want or need it.

Reactions: servenvolley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.