What to do with a dead 2011 mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bb1287, Apr 20, 2018.

1. bb1287, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

bb1287 macrumors newbie

So my 2011 mbp (AMD) finally bit the dust after both GPUs failed. It charges, and the logic board seems to work fine, it just refuses to boot up completely (fails POST).

Are there any parts I can salvage? I would really love to be able to use the keyboard and trackpad on something else, because it is one of the best I have ever used. I'm familiar with micro-soldering, so if there's a DIY way to do this, I would really appreciate the help.

Thank you so much!

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Before you part it out, be aware that there is "a fix" that permanently "locks out" the discrete GPU, after which you boot and run the MBP using ONLY the integrated GPU. The computer runs more slowly, but at least it runs.

There have a been a few threads (with instructions) about this here on MacRumors.

I'm not sure if the fix can be applied to a non-booting MBP -- you'll have to investigate this on your own.

Good luck...

3. bb1287 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Fishrrman. Sorry that I wasn't clearer in the earlier post, but BOTH GPUs have failed. I had the software fix running to force the iGPU to run always, but that eventually gave out too.