What to do with a dead iMac G5 iSight?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Glaxx, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

Hi, today my friend dropped off a box with a dead iMac G5 with the iSight. It has everything but the hard drive and logic board, so it is essentially an empty shell. It has the LCD panel, power supply, and superdrive, etc. but I have no idea if any of it works and I have no way of testing it without the logic board. I'm not too fond of the idea of buying a logic board, as they seem to be rather expensive. Although, I am still keeping this option open.

My question to you is: What kind of cool mod can I do to this thing? The enclosure looks so cool, and I'd hate to just throw it out. I was thinking possibly stripping a 20" monitor out of its enclosure and placing it in the iMac enclosure, or possibly using it as a picture frame. Does anyone have any other cool ideas? Also, what should I do with the internals that I still have?

Thanks!

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Depending on your level of expertises, you could wire-up the display so you can use it as a additional monitor to the any existing Mac you have via a DVI link, mod and build a Macbook into the iMac's shell, or even a PC!!

Alternatively, search various sites for a spare logicboard.. or just sell the components on some online auction... Beats discarding the bits as trash!

3. Glaxx thread starter macrumors regular

Glaxx

What would be involved in wiring it up for use as a monitor with the DVI link? I was thinking about modding in a really small PC into it, but it would be a very tight fit. I don't know if I could get everything into it along with the screen and such.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Be careful about overheating if you decide to do this.

5. Glaxx thread starter macrumors regular

Glaxx

Yeah, I think there would be too many issues to deal with if I tried to mod a full fledged PC into it. I am leaning towards buying a 20" LCD monitor and stripping it out of the enclosure and modding it into the iMac's enclosure, but I don't know if it would be worth it just to use the enclosure. :rolleyes:

6. phillipc macrumors newbie

I'd like to do this too- I have 2 20" iMac G5's

I know I'm jumpning in a little late. Has anything happened with this?

I have the whole machine- dead logicboard and all. Anyone need parts like DVD+r, HD, etc?

I'd like to make 2 20 inch montors out of these. Anyone know a good tutorial?

Thanks.