What to do with a dead MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trauma1, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

My friend spilled water on her Macbook and it appears to be dead. I tried to do everything I can, but after a week or so it's just not turning on and she already is using a second computer. It's a previous gen 13" unibody, standard specs. I saw that one sold one eBay for over $400, but that was just the computer. She still has all the original packaging materials and power cables. Would it be best to sell everything on eBay as one package, or should I split up the parts?

2.26GHz
    2x1GB Memory
    160GB Hard Drive (It's wiped clean)
    Power brick and cable
    Original box and paperwork

I can take out the memory and hard drive with no problem. But if there's any other parts that would be worth selling individually I can look up how to do it on my own. Otherwise, I will just sell everything together.

2. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Who'd buy a dead computer? I'd turn it into something cool....

3. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

How much did she spill on her macbook pro?

4. Trauma1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

People who have the resources to fix it. People who just want to use it for parts. You'd be surprised how many and for how much broken/cracked/submerged iPhones go for on eBay.

Final price was $456 after twenty seven bids. I hope we can get at least that.

5. Trauma1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually not that much. You can see the corrosion in the bottom left corner. Apple told her it was a Tier 4 repair and would cost at least $800. Another independent store said "around $700." As she's already using her second machine, she has zero desire to get it fixed.

Attached Files:

6. Reapur macrumors regular

I would CAREFULLY take the computer apart with the aid of a guide from iFixit.com then bathe the entire logic board in rubbing alcohol, you can safely submerge the board in rubbing alcohol. Then scrub the corroded area with a firm bristle tooth brush or one of those 20 dollar electric tooth brushes. The alcohol should do a good job of cleaning any moisture out because it will evaporate and take any water with it.

Its not like you have anything to loose its already not working. The corroded area is preventing good electrical contact between the logic board and the soldered components. Unless something acrd and shorted (burnt out) then you can most likely salvage this logic board and use the computer normally.

If you actually go through with it i would love to know the results!

7. Dj BW macrumors regular

I see dead uni macbooks going for ridiculous $$$ lately:confused:

8. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Are replacement parts really that hard to find? I'd like to get one simply to either make a one of a kind that either looks like A) some sort of steampunk contraption or B) give it a retro mac look (slightly yellowed biege, rainbow apple, etc etc)

9. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

10. Trauma1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know this is an old bump, but I rarely post on MacRumors.

I did go through with this, thanks for the suggestion. Taking apart the Logic Board was more difficult than I thought. There was a little bit more corrosion on the underneath side, but no signs of burns or an arc 'n spark. I scrubbed the area with a freebie toothbrush from the dentist, and it surprisingly cleaned away a lot of the corrosion. But none of that worked. If it was going to, it probably would have worked closer to the time of the spill. I didn't get around to this until +84 hours. I took it to the Genius Bar to see if I had put it all back together correctly, and they confirmed.

I think it sold for close to $470 on eBay.

11. hypervish89 macrumors regular

Better late than never!

$470 is a fair price for a dead mbp.