What to do with a dead MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mattjeff, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Mattjeff macrumors 6502

Mattjeff

I have a 2007 15 2.4GHz MBP that has served me well until earlier this year. Sadly it can no longer work when it reaches a moderate temperature before the screen goes haywire.

I would assume this makes the worth of this machine plummet to near nothing however it was a large investment for me and I can't just give it away. What are your suggestions for parting with it? Getting some some money would be great for a future MBP.

Thanks MRs

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Sell it for parts. :)

3. Mattjeff thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattjeff

forgive my ignorant question but... how? haha

I would google it but I trust these forums.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You could sell it in pieces, or the whole thing on eBay. I recommend you sell it in pieces if you're comfortable taking it apart. Because it sounds like a processor/motherboard issue and not just a screen issue.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can sell it on eBay. Just give an honest description of the problem in the listing. I see broken MBPs on eBay sell all the time. Check this out.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You're late by a few weeks!!!!

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

8. Mattjeff thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattjeff

thats odd, I had called them a month or two ago about that and the rep said I had missed the 4 year limitation on replacement.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Then I would call him again, if you know the persons name point him to that link.
    He should have replaced it.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

No, it was always 4 years from date of purchase, OR that date, whichever came first.

11. Mattjeff thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattjeff

Thanks. It sucks that I can't but at least I know I didn't just miss it.

I looked at some of the ebay listings and saw about $200-400 as a price for a 2007 MBP that is "DEAD". Would it be unreasonable to put a higher price if it operates under normal loads? I almost think keeping it and trying to use it is worth than more 300 dollars... which is hard to stomach after spending 2400 on it in the first place.

12. Idefix macrumors 6502

make an appointment and take it in to Apple.

Most times, Apple charges $310 for the fix.

Depends on whether that's worth it for you...

PS: they kick up a fit in the laptop doesn't have a good HD...namely Apple HD

13. Kadvani041387 macrumors newbie

Hey man if I were you I'd just keep it. I think it really is worth more than 200 or even 400 dollars.

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I dunno about that one. Warranty price tag on the logic board on the 2.4 that i had fixed was $936

15. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Arrange a funeral? Bury it, may it R.I.P. :rolleyes:

16. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Keep it then bro'. It is an old MBP from 2007. Sure you paid a pretty penny for it back in the day, but there are much cheaper computers that are faster than yours like the MBA 11". $300ish is a great price considering that there are newer MBPS from 2009ish that sell for $700-$800.

You got your moneys worth on this one. Anything you get for this is a bonus man. I like your style though. I wish I could have managed with my 12" Macbook Pro.

17. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Sell it for parts or get the graphics chip reballed (in some rare cases the chip needs to be replaced).

I have same generation Macbook Pro like you but in my case there was no picture at all, I performed reflow which made the machine functional again. In your case reflow might not do the trick (and because the problem is the solder material, it usually does not last long anyways).

18. Mattjeff thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattjeff

haha I have grown attached to it :).

Could apple "reball" it? I did some looking into what it is and it seems like that could be the issue as it only works under normal load because of the heat (i think). And if they could what would they charge?

Thanks again everyone!

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. Make a video of you and your friends destroying it to rap music, similar to how they destroyed the fax machine on the movie Office Space.*

2. Figure out a way to sell online views of the video to windows fanatics and diehard mac haters.

3. Buy yourself a brand new Macbook Pro!:D

*Feels good to be a (mac) gangsta!

20. Mattjeff thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattjeff

haha I can't believe I didn't think of that :D

21. Idefix macrumors 6502

I was fortunate enough to recently have my logic board fixed for free under the warranty (epic saga) and when I picked mine up, there was a lady picking up practically the same MBP with a replaced logic board for $310.

You won't know unless you take it in for an estimate.

22. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Well I think Apple only offers replacing the motherboard as fix which of course is the better option, if it's free but when not, it usually no sense.

23. sostoobad macrumors regular

It would be interesting to know what went wrong and hopefully why ? I think a 2007 that just dies is not getting your moniesworth, if you dropped it or banged it around thats different.

I have a 2006 MBP that I bought used in nice shape and it hums like a kitty cat.

These are expensive computers and should last more than 4 or 5 yrs, just my take on it.

24. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Apple's will to make computers thinner and thinner without caring too much about cooling is a bad when combined with lead-free solder (which cracks after repeated heating-cooling -cycles). I'm afraid to watch Netflix with my MBP because temperatures quickly rise to insane levels, CPU being near 100C. Yes, no dust and thermal paste has been replaced already..

25. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Just because they're expensive doesn't mean that they should last longer.

"Should" is actually the exception rather than the rule though. Most enterprise IT shops consider anything past 3 years a blessing. That 3 year hardware refresh cycle has a lot of merit. Also corresponds to the amount of Applecare you can buy, as beyond that point the margins fall off.

In all reality while you can squeak one past 3 years, it's dated technology at that point and usually not worth spending $ on as the ROI brings the suck.