What to do with a finnicky home button iP4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jan 1, 2011.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I have an iP4 with 4.1 jailbroken and with unlockable 1.59.00 baseband (had it unlocked for Europe but took ultrasn0w off when I came back). I have it customized to hell.

But the home button intermittently does not work. It feels slightly more recessed than just about every other iP4 I've played with. I questioned this from day one but it works for the most part but sometimes doesn't respond at all and takes a few clicks

. Neither liquid indicator is red (headphone nor dock port). I tried blowing canned air into the dusty dock to see if that fixed it. It seems to come up less but maybe it's placebo. And still finicky.

I don't want to swap my phone because I have an unlockable baseband and 4.1 customized perfectly. If I take it to a repair shop to get the home button replaced, will this fix it you think? I think so and I think that's what I'm going to do but I want to ask you guys first.

Thanks.

IN other words, I don't want a 4.2.1 refurb replacement and non-unlockable baseband. Refurb I don't really care about, more that I can't mod it.

2. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Wow this topic has been beaten to death.

Mine does it too. It's not really a big deal and I can live with it, everything else on my phone is fine. I'm not risking that just because a home button doesn't work with one click here and there. Some people deal with it or take it to the Apple Store and show them.

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Do you think replacing the home button would fix it if it gets worse over time?

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

My understanding is that replacing the Home Button on the iPhone 4 requires an entirely new screen (that's what they told me in the Apple Store) due to the front of the device being one part now.

They swapped my phone with a dodgy home button no problems, but obviously the lack of Jailbreak is a concern for you.

5. CZK macrumors 6502a

You can get a home button on internet for around 10 bucks.

6. thadoggfather, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I would want a repair shop to replace the home button though if I go ahead with it. I dont know what I'm doing with iPhone internals. I take apart computers and stuff but too afraid to do a tiny phone without messing it up somehow.

Do you think if I send it to iresq they'll fix it and keep the software as it is on there?