What to do with a free battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happydudeca, Dec 30, 2008.

1. happydudeca macrumors member

Through a series of unfortunate events, I would up with a brand new battery for a 2.2 Macbook Pro. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to receive a free battery from Apple (we're talking a $150 value here) and I'm very pleased with their customer service but I'm not sure what to do with it.

I'm happy to keep it, but I honestly can't foresee myself needing two batteries at any time in the next year. My first battery died just after the one year mark so I'm considering just keeping the new battery in the packaging for future use but I'm a little concerned that it will deteriorate if it's not used. Right now it's got about 1/2 to 2/3 of a charge as it came from the factory. Will it last in storage for a year or two?

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I would just keep it until my first battery began to crap out and then swap them.

Cheers.

3. happydudeca thread starter macrumors member

So I'm looking at roughly 5% loss per year at room temp storage conditions. Thanks folks.

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

5. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I had a Powerbook and two batteries. It was easy to switch them out when the first lost it's charge. You will find that having two will be easier to travel with and extend the life of the batteries.

7. pnyc macrumors 6502

I'd sale it. In a year or two you might no longer have your current notebook. It can get lost, stolen, damaged beyond repair or you might simply decide to upgrade.

8. mad cow disease macrumors member

9. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I'll pay the shipping ;) Not really, but if you plan on keeping your notebook that long keep it, if not sell it. You could make some serious $$$ off that and buy another :apple: product

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Very interesting thread. When the Macbook Air got released the first thing people complained about is that there was no user replaceable battery or you can't carry around a spare battery to use with the MBA. Now the OP has an extra free battery, he doesn't want it? Damn, you guys are incredible on MR. :p

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The integrated battery on the Air is enough for my dad, but my spare batteries are not enough for me.

12. happydudeca thread starter macrumors member

I'm ecstatic about it. The problem was with the Apple parts depot, something to do with typos and computer errors on their end. In any event multiple replacement product was shipped out and I got a total of 3 batteries on 2 separate deliveries when I only need one to replace a defective battery. I returned two of the new ones as well as my old defective one.

Today I get another delivery. Apple returned one of the new batteries (still has that sticky sheet of plastic on it) with a note saying that they were unable to accept this return because a battery matching this Return Materials Authorization number was already accepted. A 20 minute phone call with tech support later they tell me that it's their fault and I'm just supposed to keep the battery free of charge. :cool:

I bought the laptop to take notes in class and now that I've graduated I only need the battery every now and again. I'm likely going to sell this and upgrade to an IMac at a later date but I just wondered if the battery would still be 'fresh' if I waited a year. Will probably just sell it off.