What to do with a G4 Cube?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by TheCheapGeek, Apr 23, 2009.

1. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I have a perfectly running G4 cube running tiger, but I cant figure out what to do with it. I can't seem to make myself put such a beautiful machine into the closet. Any ideas? Whats the value of a machine like this?

2. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

i would put in the kitchen for music while cooking, or put it in a room that doesnt have a tv so you can watch dvds. Asides from that, its a very slow computer that isnt compatible with very much anymore. Very cool computer nonetheless.

3. steveca macrumors 6502

I have it as a backup of my developed sites. I use to test the sites on different browsers and use it as an office machine. In fact you can still use it as a more than capable office machine to cater for your word processing, spreadsheet and other needs such as email.

Personal recommendation is to fill the RAM and install an airport card. RAM does make a lot of difference. About the value if it is in pristine condition it might get up to $300 if you still have the box and maybe even more in the future :rolleyes:

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

5. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

These things were the hottest things ever a few years ago. Everyone wanted one and they were picking up $300-$500 per cube on ebay. Now a days though, especially since the intel move, they don't seem to be getting much action. I almost bought a 500mhz model with everything including a 1.2GHZ sonnet upgrade and an nvidia 64mb cube graphics card for $250, but I couldn't convince myself to pick it up. Nostalgia was calling my name, but not enough to convince me to buy it. Mini's are a dime a dozen now a days and they're around that $300, I don't think you could get more than $200 for it.

You could always make it a project though. I remember reading about someone who hacked the cube case to fit their mac mini, appletv, and time capsule. I thought that was pretty cool.

6. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

What model? I want a 500MHz badly, so I can stick a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX in it, then run iWork. Such a cool machine... AND LOOK! ITS IN A 8" CUBE!!!! :D How much are the 500MHz worth anyway? I can't seem to find them anywhere...:confused:
    SG :apple:

7. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

The 500 mhz is worth $250-500 acording to everymac
    They aree still very collectible machines and I'd bet on the value increasing over the next few years as they become more and more scarce.

8. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I've seen a few with upgraded processors go for a grand but the standard 450 can go for $250. I'm looking for a outer case to make a betta fish tank myself. I already have an eMac aquarium.

9. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I am desperately looking for a cube... could I buy it from you?

Would it need a special power convertor to work in the UK?

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I've been watching Cubes for years on ebay, and I'd say they have already hit their high price and are way down. About 3 years ago any cube would get over $300 if it came with the power supply and worked. Now, a 450MHz cube will sell for as little as $120. Same thing has happened to the G4 Powerbooks. That said, a maxed out cube with the box, all original items, and perhaps a studio display will fetch a good price to a collector.

11. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

By "maxed out", do you mean top-of-the-line with no upgrades, or with a new processor? I'd rather have a 500MHz than a dual 1.5GHz because its a collectors item. But I wouldn't turn down a dual 1.5GHz:p

12. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

If you're feeling a little creative, then why not make a MacQuarium? They look stunning! You could sell the parts.

[​IMG]

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I still use my mildly pimped cube as my main desktop :eek:

I've put some interesting things in there over time, radeon 7500/8500/9700pro geforce 2MX and the 6200 that would be in there but some caps blew on it so I need to replace them :mad:

It only has a dual 450 cpu (still have the original 500MHz card kicking about somewhere) though it serves my needs and doesn't require any loud cooling measures taking.

14. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

That will be its final resting place for sure, but I cant jsut trash a perfectly good working computer.

I just finished installing Leopard Server, trial edition, on the cube and am attempting to set it up as a home server/media server one more time. If I can't get the results I am happy with, I will be back to square one.

15. 4D4M macrumors regular

4D4M

Pleeeease don't trash it to make a MacQuarium, cool though they are. It's a piece of computing history, hold on to it and one day it will increase in value.

16. California macrumors 68040

California

Aw, just get the cheapest 1 ghz CPU upgrade for it and run Leopard and USE IT. Max out the ram, and get a 120gb 7200rpm hd and it's fine.

A friend did the 1.8ghz upgrade and is very happy.

17. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

18. suburbia macrumors 6502

That is just wrong... I weep for this cube that's been turned into a tacky fish bowl. What a sad end to a great design.

Wasn't the cube shown at the MOMA some time ago as one of the best designs of the 21st century?

If I had one, I would just keep it for nostalgia: It's so small and compact, one could use it as a paperweight.

19. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Yeah, such cool computers. Now, if you had a G4 Cube that had breathed its last whisper-quiet breath, then it might be cool to turn it into a kleenex box, aquarium, mini housing, ect.

20. suburbia macrumors 6502

^^^ It's never alright to defile such a beautiful design by turning it into a fish bowl-- even if it's a dead Cube!!! Cherish your Cube!

21. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

What if every part is dead, its beyond repair, and you don't have a real use for it. I myself wouldn't do this(fish bowl), but if I had an empty case, then I would be tempted to make a kleenex box holder:D Turning dead/already gutted macs into useful furniture would be fun!!!

22. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

If you upgraded the video card in it to something like an FX5200 you could play some sweet old school games like Quake 2! :) I upgrade my PMG4 to the 5200 and it made a huge difference. I would spend the cash and do a cpu upgrade, but I think I am just going to buy a new mac soon anyway.

23. spue2001 macrumors member

just have it as art , this is a true style classic . i fear that more cubes are being gutted and destroyed to become stupid fish tanks , custom pcs , etc . prices are low but its far from worthless . in decade they will be impossible to get hold of . you're not loosing out finically if you just store it as art

24. Trinity macrumors regular

Trinity

I have 2 Cubes, one with Dual 1,7 processor, Geforce3, superdrive, Giga VRM, PowerCube enclosure etc, and the other with standard components. I have used the first one since 2001 until april 2009, the other was a spare that I never had to use. For now, they have become decorative items in my bedroom, but I am sure that in a few years, they will become collector items as the Lisa or the 20th anniversary.

25. yizzle0912 macrumors newbie

My cube is sitting around in my closet. For some time i ran ydl on it, messed with it, took it apart, put it back together... Now I'm toying with the aquarium idea too. Or I could hold onto it... one day it'll make a museum exhibit or something. The most beautiful mac ever made, btw.