What to do with a lemon MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mathieuplante, May 19, 2013.

1. mathieuplante macrumors member

I purchased a MacBook Pro 15 inch mid-2010 (2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 Go 1067 MHz DDR3) soon after its release. I had a few battery-related problems a few months after I purchased it, so the Apple Store changed the entire motherboard under Apple Care. Fast forward to the present and now I have multiple problems with my Mac:

• USB ports and SD card slot don't work
    • Bluetooth signal is very weak, bluetooth mice don't work
    • Battery won't keep a charge and lasts about an hour

I'm thinking it's the motherboard again. What do you suggest that I do? If I go to an Apple Store, will they change the motherboard again under Apple Care? It's a custom machine with a high resolution matte screen. Would they offer to switch the computer with a brand new one? I'm looking to sell this computer, but I know I can't sell it in this sorry state. I live about 2 hours away from the nearest Apple Store, so I would like to know what to expect. Thanks for your help.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I doubt they will switch it for a new one.

What month did you buy it in 2010?

If its still under apple care of course they will fix it.

If not they will give you a quote.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Why not try a call to the Apple Store. Likely they could tell you what to expect.:)

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

This is sage advice.

Apple cares & I've found that rarely do they fail to do the right thing. Give them a chance before declaring it a lemon.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

6. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

AppleCare got you covered until it expired then sell your MBP. :apple:

8. mathieuplante thread starter macrumors member

I called Apple Care and it just ran out at the beginning of the month. That's what happens when you're not careful, I guess. I just put it up for sale on Kijiji, I don't know how much I can get for it though. I think the battery is the only big problem and that's easy enough to get fixed, right? The USB ports work most of the time, and I barely ever use the SD slot.