What to do with a Rev. A iMac (bondi)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by skrutzen, Jun 8, 2007.

1. skrutzen macrumors regular

So my folks have been bugging me to get rid of my old iMac. There is and e-waste drop off going on right down the street from my house this weekend and it would be all too easy to just let go... Oh, the heartstrings.

So is there any viable use for this thing? Last I remember it still works. Haven't booted it in a while though (at least a couple of years). Assuming it still boots up is there any use in keeping it? Please help! This decision has got come today or tomorrow.

Also, I don't have a lot of cash to make any upgrades.

2. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I would just put a bigger hard drive in it (maybe one from an old PC), and just use it as a itunes jukebox. I have one in my kitchen. imac G3s are just so cute looking. I need to start setting up ewaste collections if people are giving away good hardware like this.

3. skrutzen thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds good but what version of iTunes can i run that will allow sharing? I believe the OS is OS8. Also keep in mind that this machine is a 233 so, not much processing power.

4. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I believe you can go up to itunes 2 with OS9. It might work with 8, but I don't think so. I would put panther on it, but if you don't have the ram already I would stick with 9.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The last version of iTunes for Mac OS 9 is iTunes 2.0.4.

Mac OS 8 is not compatible with any version of iTunes without hacks.

If you put a fresh install of Mac OS 9.2.2 on there, it will actually run pretty fast and can be useful as a second computer.