What to do with a swollen battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XboxMySocks, Dec 19, 2014.

1. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Does Apple still care about these? Should I contact them about it? I can dispose of it sensibly but there's no point doing that if they still want them. Cheers.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Check with Apple or take it to Best Buy as they dispose of them also.

3. Praesto macrumors regular

I would just toss it in the garbage myself. That is what I did with my last one. Had I known Apple wanted them back I would have sent it to them.

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Lithium Ion batteries are toxic and it is illegal to throw them in the garbage. They must be recycled properly.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely take it to apple, and don't mess with it.

As mentioned you shouldn't throw it away, since its toxic and possibly potentially dangerous being swollen.

6. Praesto macrumors regular

I do not believe this was stated on the battery. Luckily it is the only time I have ever done it (that one time). Next time I will be sure to take it to the proper disposal place.

7. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

It was.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Anything with an icon of a trash can with an X over it means it must not be thrown in trash.
    It looks like this: [​IMG]

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Which machine is it? If it's a non-removable battery in a Mac, it should be a free out-of-warranty repair since it causes other damage to the machine when it happens.

10. Praesto macrumors regular

That makes more sense. Most of the writing was worn off the bottom of the battery from using it. I suspect this was probably on the portion that was interior to the battery?