What to do with a working eMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Racineur, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Racineur macrumors regular

Racineur

Hi, I was given a G4 1.4 ghz eMac running Tiger 10.4.11. Works perfectly. Monitor is crisp and sharp as can be. Tiger running flawlessly but not blazing fast. Wonder what to do with it though. I'm in the process of replacing my late 2006 white 2.0 ghz Intel Core2Duo iMac with a 2013 27 iMac (1999$). I want to keep the white iMac but I don't wish to keep the eMac too. Is this machine worth trying to sell for 50$? Or should I just give it away to, let's say, a charity? Thing is that I kept all of my apps from Classic and PowerPC environments. Hints...
    Thanks

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Ok,

Charitys don't really need old macs they need pcs because they are easier to use and don't require workarounds

$50 a bit too high try $25 on craigslist

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I use mine as a jukebox - there's a pretty impressive set of harman kardon speakers in there that really pack a punch. They're on par if not better than the iMac G3's speakers IMO.

4. WMD macrumors regular

You said you kept your PPC/Classic apps...the eMac is the only one of the three machines you mentioned that can run Classic, and possibly PPC apps (10.7 dropped support for the latter). So unless you've got some other Mac besides the ones in your post, consider those apps dead.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've got a lower spec, but perfectly running eMac too, I kept it and use it with Tiger so I can use Classic. Used to have Leopard on it, but didn't bother after I got several G5 iMacs to fill its place.

6. dandeco macrumors regular

My 1.42 GHz eMac is used as my backup computer for when I can't use my MacBook. It has 2 GB of RAM and runs OS X 10.5.8 Leopard pretty well. It can even edit video pretty well on iMovie HD 6!

7. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I recommend you sell it. It's pretty useless in 2013.

8. spunkgarLEWII macrumors regular

Oh, thats a nice way of saying a response to a question.. "Its pretty useless in 2013" - This is BLATENT and complete disregard to using any PowerPC Mac.. Useless in what way?? Your answer only shows your IGNORANCE for PowerPC.

Useless in video editing - Yes
    Useless in watching youtube via clicktoflash or quicktime? No.. and I should add using MacTubes or YouView.

Your answer of it being useless in 2013 lends only to your ignorance to the OP's desires.. perhaps he wants to use it as a server machine, or even a web browsing machine..

Your response is like saying to those in customer service: No, we can't do that or "No, it can't be done".

Because of attitudes like that many businesses have gone out of business due to disregard of clients.

9. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Actually, I do video editing on my PowerBook.

10. spunkgarLEWII macrumors regular

I meant heavy video editing, not light video editing.. I was also trying to defend PowerPC users on here against that blatant statement from that other guy which I found offensive.

I then ask: "Useless in 2013 with what"?

11. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Woohooo! My Powerbook is back...

What to do with a working emac?

Imho, keep it. You can do a lot with it, not just surfing the web.

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

13. bigskymusiclove macrumors newbie

I have a 1ghz eMac maxed out at 1gb ram running Tiger in the kitchen as a internet terminal. A little slow, but more then usable.

14. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Look, face the fact that PowerPC is dead. It's a bit like having a PC from 2000, they really have no use. I myself have a dual 2005 G5, and even IT struggles at YouTube. Software out of date, no security updates, and slow. There is NO reason whatsoever to use a PowerPC mac (unless it is a quad G5) at this day and age, unless you have no other computer or if you have a use for it such as a light file server. Why even ATTEMPT video editing on a mac that is maybe 10+ years old? I understand if you can't afford a new mac, but honestly if you can't, you really have no business video editing on a computer that is so old. If you can't afford a new mac, buy a PC, and if you insist on using OS X you can Hackintosh it relatively easily.
    Don't avoid the facts. I suggest he sells the eMac and uses it to help save up for a PC to Hackintosh.
    I only use my G5 for mucking about with, downloading stuff, or playing old games/legacy software. Even my 10 year old younger brother thinks the G5 is really slow, he only uses it for Word and VERY light web browsing.
    To answer your question it is useless or slow at most things.

15. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Go suck Intels ***. ;) N00b

I do software development, gaming and video editing on my G4s.

16. WMD macrumors regular

I think that's more to do with Flash for Mac than anything. I have Flash performance problems on my 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo MBP.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Stay away from my Popsicle. You can have the grape ones though.

18. spunkgarLEWII macrumors regular

Well put.. But you forget I myself, like Nameci use a G5 Quad which I might say with 16GB of memory, using quicktime and or HTML5 to play youtube is really fast, at least for our needs.

The DUAL 2.5 is a joke. No where near the performance of the might G5 Quad.. at least the Quad didn't have many problems with the LCS, though I am not saying the Quad is immune from that either, but they were built much better and do take advantage of core technologies that the Dual 2.5 can't.

I use also a 2010 Mac Pro 6-core in addition to my Quad. Also, for outside use I use my PB G4 1.67 DLSD which gets my jobs done outside the house.. and last but not least.. I use a PC Laptop with Snow, Lion, ML, and Mavericks.

So, I have the taste of all worlds! PPC and Intel - One big happy jailbird family!

----------

lol... Oh I want the chocolate ones.. can I, can I???

19. Mac Mini Pro macrumors newbie

Sure you do. Can you play any 3D game released in the last 6 years? Or is Fable the best you can do?

20. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I don't play Fable, and yes, I can play a game from '06. :rolleyes:
    Now, go play with your iCan. ;)

21. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Just admit it... PPC does not even compare to Intel.

22. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

You need to be banned. Do not enter the PowerPC forums and hate on PowerPC.

23. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Why are you even here? PowerPC doesn't want you and it doesn't seem Intell wants you either.

24. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Im not hating on PPC, they have their own purposes but honestly if people go around saying their PPC macs are better then intel macs and they can do HD video editing etc, thats giving the wrong info. I have my own G5 and use it for messing around with, and I love it, but I 100% agree my i7 MacBook Pro could humiliate it in ANY task. They both have their own purposes, and IMHO in 2013 HD video editing is not the purpose of PPC macs. This is what I am trying to explain, some PPC fanboys create their own RDF, lol.

----------

...I thought you were banned

Never mind

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

rabidz7, there was a time when a large portion of the PowerPC sub-forum wanted you banned. Don't go out stating one should be banned with your rather threadbare morals.

I honestly don't know who he and and currently am indifferent to wanting him here.