Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, ON
Our indigo iMac G3 from 2000 seems to have bitten the dust. The monitor no longer displays anything. As far as I can tell, the other internals are running ok. Originally I want to turn the computer into a cool digital photo frame, but with the monitor gone, it looks like that won't happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions to honor this classic Mac? I've considered eBay (selling parts or as a whole), but I want to heard about any other projects that could be done.

Thanks!

MacBooksRock

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Our indigo iMac G3 from 2000 seems to have bitten the dust. The monitor no longer displays anything. As far as I can tell, the other internals are running ok. Originally I want to turn the computer into a cool digital photo frame, but with the monitor gone, it looks like that won't happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions to honor this classic Mac? I've considered eBay (selling parts or as a whole), but I want to heard about any other projects that could be done.

Thanks!

Throw it in the dumpster after you pull your HD, and then purchase another one off of ebay - they're about $50. :)

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Check and see if the video out works. Its hidden under the ram panel. If it does you could rig up an LCD in there after you gut the old crt. Or you could try and diagnose it. Its probably the analogue board. Those are like $15.

wesg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, ON
Update:

Must have been a loose screw. Gave it a little bump on its head and it's good to go. :D I just put the Firmware update on, so once the data is cleared, I'm going for the picture frame.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Run QuidQuoPro on it, and turn it into a web server. Remove the HD and mount in another Mac. Sounds like the HD and maybe the RAM are the only real usable parts of the system.

THe keyboard and mouse are worth keeping too. It isn't worth trying to repair the monitor. It would cost Wayyy more than the machine is worth, which is about $50 - $70

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.