What to do with an old and broken iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by James Parker, Jun 2, 2015.

1. James Parker macrumors newbie

James Parker

Hi Guys! I hope this question was not asked before, I couldn't find anything in the search.

So I have an old iPad2 which stopped working a couple of weeks ago. It does not react at all when trying to switch it on.

I'm a bit concerned regarding the data security. I didn't set a password for the iPad and there is quite a lot of private data on it. SO I'm scared that if I just give it away, someone might be able to re-activate it somehow and get hold of my data.

Any ideas on how to securely get rid of old and broken Apple devices? What do you guys usually do?

2. shayneox macrumors member

shayneox

it may not react when you switch it on , but try to plug it in to a pc to sync it , that will let you know if its a dead screen and such. If nothing there , and you are concerned about privacy...smash the heck out of it.

3. James Parker thread starter macrumors newbie

James Parker

I'll definitely test this, maybe it's just the screen which doesn't work anymore and I can still access the data. Thanks for the idea!

However, if this doesn't work, I was hoping to find a solution where I could just give it away to some kind of recycling shop with the security that will never be able to get my data. In the old days, one could just put a magnet on a hard-drive and the problem was resolved ....

So it seems smashing the heck out of it is the way to go?