What to do with an old PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ehabs, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ehabs macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook about a month ago and never want to use my old pc again. do you guys have any ideas what i could do with it? it is a pretty nice computer with 4 gigs of ram, 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, and other pretty good specs. I don't really know how to sell it for a decent price or what to do with it. thanks

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I know this sounds bad for that system, but I personally always donate my old computers and take a tax write off.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

Ebay.com if you need the money

Freecycle.org if you don't

4. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I second.

5. gonyr macrumors 6502

Ebay is horrible.

I'd recommend craigslist for your local area. You'll probably get more for it that way too. Just insist on cash only at pickup, and meet at a public, neutral site - very little chance of being scammed that way.

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Use it for Handbrake, Folding, home server etc?

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd recommend Craigslist if you are really keen to sell and/or need the money. If not, donate to charity (I've done that, but granted, with a machine that was a few years old) or offer it to a school, perhaps in a deprived area as the spec sounds pretty good; or give it to a close friend or deserving relative (I've done that, too). Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2 GB RAM, 2.4ghz, 160 HDD
    :apple: iPod classic black 30 GB

8. kabunaru Guest

9. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I have the same problem except I have not bought my MAC yet.

I tried EBAY and the only people interested so far want me to ship to Nigeria, Indonesia, etc.

With Craigslist they want my name and address so "their shipper" can come pick it up from me

Selling a computer is a pain in the a$$

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You mean scrap all the parts and spend more money than the MacBook? :D

11. glacies macrumors newbie

Give it to me baby, aha aha :)

Alright, more serious now - why don't you install a Linux distro on it and learn how to really use a unix core/kernel/terminal...

It's quite a good fun and you will definitely learn a lot. I just installed Mandrake on a free computer I got from my professor at uni (the department was going to throw it away). It's a good piece of junk though. Athlon 2.0 Ghz and 256 MB DDR with 64 MB VRAM. And only 30 GB Maxtor!!! :eek: After two sleepless nights I got it working as our flat wireless print server and bittorent download machine!!! Phew~

Seeing that you have a very good system, why don't you just give it to your cousin/relative. I'm sure you would find a young nephew or niece somewhere :rolleyes:

12. passingXstorm macrumors regular

Throw out window. Jump on it. Smash it with hammer. Enjoy doing this while you know you have a reliable MacBook inside. ;) lol jk, but it is tempting, isn't it?

13. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I can't promote doing it on the forums, I believe, but I know other people have played around with the old OSX86 thing. It may keep you busy. Unless you're in need of the money. You could just let it sit in a corner until you want to play games. There are some good games out there that aren't for the Mac yet.