What to do with an old powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sim667, Jun 11, 2012.

1. sim667 macrumors 65816

I've been using it for djing, but the software is sloooooooow and crashes a lot, so I am going to buy myself a new macbook pro as soon as they're released.

This leads me to wonder what Ill do with my old powerbook? The battery is as dead as a dodo, but apart from that its got a clean install of 10.4 on it and runs ok as long as the tasks arent too complex.

Its worth more to me to keep than to sell and it was my first mac (and my first computer) so I cant bring myself to get rid of it.

I've got my mac pro running a media server, so I dont need it for that (i doubt it could cope with HD content anyway).

Suggestions?

2. Liquinn Suspended

3. tayloralmond, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I think you should keep it around. You never know when you'll need a backup laptop. If you wish to make it more usable today, here's my recommendations:

1) Max the RAM to 2GB. The extra GB of RAM will give your OS much more breathing room.
    2) Install Leopard (much greater software support)
    3) Optimize the OS
    4) Purchase a new battery. New 3rd party batteries can be purchased for $30US all day long on eBay.

Normally, I would recommend you buy an SSD, but unless you're willing to spend around $100US or more, I'd say don't bother. The only exception to this is buying a Compact Flash Card to IDE Adapter. This could give you noticeably faster performance (albeit not SSD fast) for less then the cost of an SSD.

4. sim667 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the optimisation tip....

I will keep it, I just dont like to think of it sitting away rotting. Its a shame it will never go up in value :(

The other alternative is I could give it to my parents to keep at their summerhouse in spain :/