Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Longer Lane

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
XFX Radeon RX 460 single slot would probably be a pretty good upgrade card for one of these for sierra builds. granted, without proper EFI support you wont see a boot screen but it should work fine once it goes to finder. but the hackintosh guys have said the RX460s are easy cards to set up on Sierra. also doesnt require additional 6-pin power.

14-150-788-Z01.jpg
FWIW: 10.12.4 seems to have some fix incorporated to have boot-up screens on a wider range of screens.

d4rdw1ng

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2019
Arizona
I picked up an Xserve Xeon 2.8 "Eight Core" (Early 2008) machine with 80/300/300 hard drives and Mac OS Server 10.5.8 installed and 6 GB of RAM. It fired right up and seems to run fine (other than an annoyingly loud fan in contrast to all my other Macs). Now the big question is what to do with it. I wouldn't have picked it up if the price wasn't right (free).

I've got many other Macs ranging from Minis to this Mac Pro (Early 2008). I have a problem getting rid of something that still works. Now, I need an idea of what to do with this Xserve that must have cost a small fortune when it was purchased. I'm betting in the neighborhood of $4k to $5k.

Ideas or suggestions of a way to actually utilize this would be appreciated.

View attachment 684266
Do you happen to have the original install disk for the Xserve? I bought an older one and desperately need an install disk. Can't figure how to get my system up with the downloads I have seen. Thanks for any help.

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
Any OS X install disk should work with the XServe. How old of a version are you attempting to install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.