Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
So, I've had the phone since launch, and I have AC+. I'm not sure when I managed to damage it, but the aluminum is really bent and actually separating on the antenna line. My display is also white in one corner, i'm assuming because of the stress the bent back is putting on it. Now, i take responsibility for the damage, as i'm sure i must have dropped it and don't remember, but the damage is definitely affecting the water resistance, and i plan on selling the phone soon to get the next iPhone. I think it's pretty ridiculous to pay $99 for AC+, then pay $99 AGAIN just to have my phone repaired/replaced. Anyone have any similar problems and what did you do?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So, I've had the phone since launch, and I have AC+. I'm not sure when I managed to damage it, but the aluminum is really bent and actually separating on the antenna line. My display is also white in one corner, i'm assuming because of the stress the bent back is putting on it. Now, i take responsibility for the damage, as i'm sure i must have dropped it and don't remember, but the damage is definitely affecting the water resistance, and i plan on selling the phone soon to get the next iPhone. I think it's pretty ridiculous to pay $99 for AC+, then pay $99 AGAIN just to have my phone repaired/replaced. Anyone have any similar problems and what did you do?

I would repair it, however, If you are not willing to pay the $99 to repair it, Being the condition that it's currently in, You could sell it on online as damaged and you would be surprised what somebody would be willing to pay for a damaged iPhone.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If you think its so ridiculous to pay for AC+ then to have to pay to use it, why did you originally get it? Its an insurance policy. You pay a yearly premium for you car insurance, and if you get into an accident, you have to pay the deductible. Its literally the same thing.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think it's pretty ridiculous to pay $99 for AC+, then pay $99 AGAIN just to have my phone repaired/replaced.
You think it's pretty ridiculous. Yet you bought AppleCare+ anyway.

The OoW price for replacement is over $300.

AC+ coverage is saving you at least $100. Yet it's ridiculous?

Why did you buy AC+?

I can't help but think that maybe you thought the AC+ cost of replacement/repair would somehow magically disappear for you. I see no other explanation as to why you'd buy AC+ if the cost of it is ridiculous to you.

This makes no sense.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I guess AC+ isn't nearly as good as it used to be. back in the iPhone 4-5 days, i managed to get my 4 replaced just because it had a software problem, and i had 5 different iPhone 5 replacements, each time they just took my word for it and swapped it out. even the iPhone 6 was easy. the display was snapping in and out, and since the back was bent they swapped it no questions asked.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I guess AC+ isn't nearly as good as it used to be. back in the iPhone 4-5 days, i managed to get my 4 replaced just because it had a software problem, and i had 5 different iPhone 5 replacements, each time they just took my word for it and swapped it out. even the iPhone 6 was easy. the display was snapping in and out, and since the back was bent they swapped it no questions asked.
Thats called good customer service and you taking advantage of Apple. Thats the reason why they are more strict with their policy, because of people like you. AC+ also didn't exist back then. AC+ is an insurance policy for your device.

Reactions: macTW

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
From what you desribed above, you never took good care that well. I have seen people who abused their phone like crazy. Maybe it didn't bother them too much. No matter how good a product is, TLC and common sense are still needed. It must gone through some beating to make the 7 bend. For you, the $99 might be a small price to spend

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Apple still takes care of their customers. I have never had a failed experience and their support is unrivaled. Things may have changed over the years, but no one else can Touch their support and service with repairs and exceptions made beyond their policies. You have AppleCare, take advantage of it.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
i managed to get my 4 replaced just because it had a software problem, and i had 5 different iPhone 5 replacements, each time they just took my word for it and swapped it out. even the iPhone 6 was easy. the display was snapping in and out, and since the back was bent they swapped it no questions asked.
Sounds like Apple Care is almost mandatory for you. (6) replacement phones ? Damn.... As someone else posted, it's customers such as yourself that influenced Apple's change in policy.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

People (like you) abused the Apple warranty so much they had to tighten up and do more repairs rather than just handing out new phones. I can not blame Apple for that! If it had been another brand they would not give you the time of day. You will not find better service than what Apple offers for it's devices.

Take responsibility for YOU trashing your phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So…what you're saying, is that you were banking on past experience that Apple would waive the fee despite the damage being your fault and you admitting to that fault.

That's what I'm hearing.

Apple may have replaced in the past free of charge because it could be argued that somehow their device was faulty. As AC and AC+ extend warranty by another year (or more) you're getting faults with the device covered for an extended period.

But obvious physical damage can't be justified as a defect. As mentioned earlier, if they DID replace for physical damage in the past, then you were getting good customer service. But you can't bet on that. And you can't be upset about it either because while Apple may have done that in the past they didn't have an obligation to then and they don't have one now.

Pay the $99. It's less than the OoW price.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

Lol. I have had that good luck too...but I have never made a post that I expect apple to just switch out my phone when it is clearly damaged. Apple has switched out my 7plus when I have brought it in twice for an issue...but again...I don't bring it in for broken screen and expect that they will switch it out under a presumptive software issue. You broke it...step up and pay the money to replace it. If you don't want to, then use it until the next phone comes out and sell it the way it is. Those are really your choices.

This is where you say..apple has been awesome in the past. I'll just pay this time and not make a big to do about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.