What to do with broken MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MKowal, Mar 1, 2010.

1. MKowal macrumors newbie

Hi,

My girlfreind bought a Macbook in 2009. It very similar in looks/specs to the following:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/apple-macbook-pro-13-3-intel-core-2-duo-2-26ghz-laptop-english/10125862.aspx?path=dc3a4c8dd97537f0f28a31edf89665bcen02

It got water damaged, and when she sent it in to be evaluated, they said it would cost $1000. Apparently the motherboard and dc jack are the only things that need to be replaced. Going off of there evalutation, everything else is functioning.

The computer is less than a year old and in perfect condition. I will try and get pictures when we have the computer back. However, in the mean time, can anyone give me some options I have in terms of selling the parts/unit? As I mentioned above, only the motherboard and dc jack need replacing. The screen, keyboard, ram, hard drive, cpu, etc should all be fine.

Thanks,

Micah

2. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

leave it to apple to charge 1000 dollars for that fix when you can go and buy that computer brand new for 1200....

as for what to do with the laptop. id throw it on craigslist/forums like your doing. im sure theres someone out their has the experience and can get a new MB and dc jack for it.

your most likely going to lose a lot of money on it though.

edit: i wonder if the motherboard from my white unibody macbook would work a mbp? if so id possibly consider buying it and making my mb and mbp haha. its the same processor etc so i dont see why it wouldnt use the same motherboard.

3. MKowal thread starter macrumors newbie

At this point, we have come to the conclusion that we will be loosing a good bit of money either way, so instead we are goign to buy a new macbook and try to salvage what we can for this current macbook.

Now I have to let you know that it is a MAcbook, not a Macbook pro. It was one of the metal cases ones that came out a while back that were still Macbooks before every metal case shifted to MAcbook pros only.

4. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

oh i was mislead by the mbp u posted as an example of specs.

5. MKowal thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya sorry about that, i could not find a link for the life of me, so I linked the closest match.

6. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

haha no worries. good luck with everything

7. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

sorry to hear brah, i would post it on ebay as you will get the most $$$ for it

good luck

8. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Look into Apple flat rate repair. I just saw someone posted they paid $310 and got a motherboard, wifi card, superdrive, fans, and battery replaced.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Buy a refurbished MBP 13" and just swap out the HDDs/memory if you had more in your MB. Then you won't have to reinstall any of your apps/software and will have all your data intact.

This way you can get a new 1 year warranty too. They are $999 in the refurb store.

10. MKowal thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Orange, do you have a link to the MBP 13" refurbished for 999? I don't see any in the apple store.

Thanks

11. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

They come and go. I haven't seen one for about a week. Currently, the cheapest is the Macbook for $849. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Go to ebay and look for Macbook repairs. There are people who can replace the logic board for around $300. Alternatively you can many yours "as is - water damaged" on ebay. It is actually quite common, search for "broken Macbook Unibody" and check off "completed listings". This will give you another how much you'll get (I think is about $400).

13. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Yeah you should definitely look into having it repaired by a 3rd party. Apple charge 2-3x what other people will.