What to do with downloaded App icon on desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OCalcutta, Aug 26, 2010.

1. OCalcutta macrumors newbie

Hello,

3 weeks into my first mac (iMac) and I love it!

One question....I bought and downloaded an app (Money) and moved it into the Application folder. Whenever I launch it, an icon of a hard drive (ejectable) appears on the desktop. Even after I move it into the trash and empty it, it appears again on the desktop after the app is relaunched. Is that the way it's suppose to work? It's just that I like a clean desktop.

Thank you!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The icon you see is the mounted DMG (Disk IMage) you probably downloaded from the www. If you double click a DMG file, that icon appears on the Desktop and in the Sidebar of Finder.

To really install the application, you should also drag and drop the application inside the mounted DMG to the applications folder and then either delete the DMG or store it someplace else. Just use the dragged & dropped application in the Application's folder to run the application.

Installing applications in Mac OS X​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It sounds like you have put the .DMG file in the Apps folder. This is a container file and inside it resides the application. If you double click the DMG it will appear on your desktop and then the App (money) icon is inside right?

If thats the case put the App icon in the Apps folder after you have opened the DMG then eject and trash the DMG. Once thats done just the App will be in the apps folder and no DMG will open up.

Its like having a £5 note in an envelope. Everytime you want to use the note you have to take it out of the envelope. Theres no need for the envelope so get rid of it.

5. OCalcutta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all.

Very nicely explained, MacBoobsPro and spinnerlys.