Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What to do with early 2005 PowerMac G5?

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Dual 2.5Ghz model. Coolant system developed a leak, system was given to me. Case and all is in fine condition.

I've already pulled the LCS, verified the leak. Not bad, just bridged a couple resistors, so I'm repairing it. New viton seals on the way!

Once I finish the repair, I'm just not certain what to do with the system. Sell it? Keep it? Mod it?

Ideas?

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Use it as a video editor/security system

I have a dual 2.0ghz driving my camera system and keeping the video files at my place

Comment

Volkstaia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2012
East Coast of the US
That's a horrible idea. It only has two drive bays, and is a huge power consumer and heat producer.

Theoretically he could throw in 2 3tbs, and have quite a bit of space, I say media server, Hook it up to a TV. Hell, if you're in to editing use it as a render box in addition to your normal PC.

Comment

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
How would I use it as a render farm? I'm running FCPX / Compressor 4 - AFAIK neither runs on PPC.

Comment

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Dual 2.5Ghz model. Coolant system developed a leak, system was given to me. Case and all is in fine condition.

I've already pulled the LCS, verified the leak. Not bad, just bridged a couple resistors, so I'm repairing it. New viton seals on the way!

Once I finish the repair, I'm just not certain what to do with the system. Sell it? Keep it? Mod it?

Ideas?

How about a web server?

Comment

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
Make it pretty.

Comment

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland

Ideas?

In itself, that is not a bad machine by any means, but it is dated, and considering its power consumption, any 24/7 use is basically out.

Any possibility you could use it for the uses a 2005 G5 was originally intended for (DTP, Audio, Video etc.)

RGDS,

Comment

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
I would like to. If i keep it, I'll certainly put Leopard on it.

What was the latest FCP Studio compatible with the PPC?

Comment

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I would like to. If i keep it, I'll certainly put Leopard on it.

What was the latest FCP Studio compatible with the PPC?

2 was the last official one, 3 could be hacked on with Pacifist. And it isn't really hacking.

Comment

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks, I'll certainly look into it.

Viton seals ended up being out of stock (was wondering why I hadn't gotten shipment notice yet) so switched them to silicone o-rings.

Also have Swiftech coolant on the way from FrozenCPU.com. I'm going to clean the procs off tomorrow, get that precipitate off everything and twiddle my thumbs while I wait on parts to arrive.

Comment

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
How would I use it as a render farm? I'm running FCPX / Compressor 4 - AFAIK neither runs on PPC.

google "PowerMac G5 clustering video" and "compressor qmaster". Maybe searching for Xgrid is interesting for you, too.

Though here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1435061?start=0&tstart=0 someone says Final Cut doesn't support ditributed rendering, you can maybe get a copy of Logic Studio 8 or 9. - and here someone says it's possible with Final Cut http://www.digitalproducer.com/arti...ter-in-Final-Cut-Studios-Compressor-3x-775135

Ah, see this http://www.dellanave.com/blog/2010/...qmaster-and-compressor-for-cluster-rendering/
there was a more elaborate one somewhere, but I do not find it, yet... ah, this http://visionstudios.ca/RenderFarm/RenderFarmleft.html

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.