What to do with EXTRA iLife '09 disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S-Man, Feb 17, 2009.

1. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

I just got a new unibody as a replacement for my lemon pre-unibody model. But a day after I got my previous-gen model, I ordered the iLife '09 upgrade from Apple. It got to me as my Laptop was in the shop.
    I look in the box of my new unibody, and it has the iLife '09 upgrade disc in it already.
    So that leaves me with an extra copy.
    What should I do with it?
    Could I sell it? Should I donate it? Can I return it?
    (It was only $10)

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I don't see why you couldn't sell it, since you haven't installed it anywhere. Just don't forget to mention that it's the up-to-date version.

3. relativist macrumors regular

Why don't you return it for a refund, is it unopened?

4. south8212 macrumors 6502

why would he return it for 10 bucks when he could sell it for more?

Also, one thing i wanted to ask....are the upgrade discs not serial number specific?

5. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

S-Man

That's what I don't know. I don't know if the 'upgrade disc' requires iLife '08 or previous, or if it's just a full install of iLife '09. I don't see a serial number on the disc. Plus, it wasn't sealed, it came in a manilla bubble mailer and once you open that, you have access to the disc, which is in a white sleeve. Nothing more.
    I think I'd feel like a bastard asking very much for it, but the upgrade if you don't have '08 is like $80.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No, not an upgrade since no iLife disc requires the previous existence of any other iLife installation.
    iLife ’09 System Requirements

7. south8212 macrumors 6502

right but even tho its an upgrade disc and not a retail version of ilife? Also, doesnt the upgrade disc only work on your mac since it goes by serial number?

8. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

S-Man

I didn't think about that. I did have to submit my serial number before ordering.
    But that serial number is trash now because of it's lemon status. The Geniuses have that heap...

9. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I can confirm that the update discs are full versions. I just did a clean install of osx, and used the update disc on my unibody mbp to install ilife 09

10. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

S-Man

Yeah, but doesn't OSX Come with iLife on it?

On another note, I think some posts got deleted...there were a couple of people that wanted me to donate it to them...heh.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you post a picture of what the up-to-date packaging looks like?

12. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

S-Man

Here is all that came with it.
    A sticker on the sleeve says "not for resale" and print on the DVD says "Upgrade DVD This software is part of a hardware bundle-not to be sold separately"

Another sticker on the sleeve flap says "Before installing iLife '09, Please update to Mac OS X v10.5.6 using Software Update".

Please excuse the crappy iPhone pic.

Attached Files: