What to do with first gen ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stanw, Aug 4, 2016.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

i have a first gen ATV that I have not turned on for years. Are there JBs or other mods that can make this useful?

2. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

keep it in the box and maybe it will be worth more thru the years
    :D

3. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

I sold mine but like AL2TEACH's idea! It could be like the original MAC and go for millions !!!!

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    There are JBs and even hardware mods. Do some online searching and you'll find plenty. For example: https://firecore.com/atvflash and search for Broadcom Crystal HD card if you want it to output 1080p

5. Fritz5484 macrumors newbie

Fritz5484

I loved my original ATV1 (160GB HD). I remember as soon as the later models were released, the ATV1 was stored away. About a year ago, I decided to check into Crystalbuntu and another popular ATV1/Media Center OS (can't recall the name offhand). I also added a "top of the line" Broadcom Crystal HD Card. I am still amazed at how the ATV1 handled (with ease) multiple file formats at very high bit rates. And the plethora of ports! -- ethernet, optical digital out, HDMI, USB, and composite A/V out.

What many forget: while the ATV2 and later generations all ran a specialized build of iOS, the ATV1 ran a specialized build of OS X (I want to say it was a "stripped down" version of Tiger?) Anyway, once the ATV 4 was released, I lost focus on testing the ATV1, modifying crystalbuntu, etc., so I put the ATV1 back into storage in its original packaging.

Hopefully I can find this workhorse of a media player a new home -- one that appreciates vintage apple software and hardware :apple:

6. keviha macrumors member

While I do have an ATV4...and use it often....I still have an ATV1 that I use nearly every day. My family loves music...and the ATV1 has been modded with a larger HD which allows me to sync very large music library.

One great feature of the ATV1 that has gone missing from all ATV's since 1st gen is the ability to stream audio (AirTunes) to multiple destinations directly from an ATV. I'm using my ATV1 as an effective (and relatively cheap) whole-home audio solution. I have multiple Airport Expresses throughout my house which allow me a straight forward, effective way to listen to music.

Sure, there are other solutions such as SONOS that offer more flexibility, however, they are much more expensive. If you don't have whole home audio...and have an ATV1....maybe some old AE's, speakers and powered source to drive the speakers...then give it a try...it works great.

7. cduff macrumors member

cduff

That's a great idea!

I'm going to do that tonight when I get home from work - thanks!

8. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I still use mine to lend out to friends that want to watch some of the movies and TV shows that I have downloaded. They just hook it in and watch, since it's all stored on the HDD :)

I had one running Leopard for a while in use as a media server, and it was surprisingly good at that!