What to do with Green iMac G3?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by littleg1, Aug 17, 2009.

1. littleg1 macrumors newbie

Hey all!!! I was wondering what I could all do with this iMac G3 that I got from my Landlord? I don't know of any use for it besides putting it in my bedroom to watch a movie or 2 but thats about the extent I have for it. I got it for free so I can't complain. It has a 450MHz processor 128MB ram. Where could I get discs the install discs for this computer? It has a password set on it that no one seems to know what was set for it. I would like to have a clean install on it as it is still a great computer and I may end up giving it to my mom to putz around on. Thanks for any advice :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Giving it to your mom wouldn't hurt. You can sell it but it's hardly worth shipping that beast. I say give it to your mom.

3. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Give it to a little kid that lives near you! Or donate it!

4. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Maybe you could get your hands on a panther disc somewhere... probably pretty cheap. It won't run leopard or tiger, probably.

I'm NOT suggesting pirating a copy. :D

5. highertechnology macrumors 6502

6. Asteroids macrumors newbie

7. roeiboot macrumors regular

roeiboot

8. littleg1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone know where I could get a Panther disc? I might just keep the little bugger. Kinda growin on me. BTW Granny is on the net and texting. Never thought that I'd see the day... lol

9. littleg1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone know where I could get a Panther disc? I might just keep the little bugger. Kinda growin on me. BTW Granny is on the net and texting. Never thought that I'd see the day... lol :eek:

10. txnoob macrumors 6502

You should upgrade it to 512MB of memory. Will help a lot. It will run 10.2, 10.3 or 10.4 fine. A black G3 400 I had ran Tiger pretty good with 512MB.

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Agreed. My 500 MHz iBook G3 ran 10.4 fine with 320 MB and better with 576 MB. Put any thought of watching movies out of your head, though. The iBook can't even run iTunes without skipping.

It should be fine for general web browsing, so long as you stay away from YouTube.

12. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

Keep it. You can always use it as a server too. Plus keep for sentimental reasons:D

13. txnoob macrumors 6502

I've seen those, they are cool.

14. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

you can get panther on your favorite not-so-legal site, to use another user's term. Perhaps get your fix on a site that will disappear on August 27th?