What to do with HP laptop?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by acearchie, Sep 9, 2011.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I was fortunate enough to win a photography competition over the summer and won an HP laptop as the top prize.

Now you will have probably deduced that by being on these forums I am a Mac user and would probably rather sell the HP and put the money towards the canon 5diii (if it's ever released).

The laptop I received has awesome specs and is worth a nice wad of cash but I wanted to get everyones opinion on what you think I should do with it?

The specs are:

14" screen,
    8gb ram,
    1gb HD 6630M VRAM,
    2ghz intel i7 Quad
    750gb HDD
    Beats audio.

Now I would love to take it out the box and have a little play but I am worried that doing this would wipe £100 of the selling price.

If I do sell what would be the best place (I am in the UK by the way)? eBay, gumtree, amazon?

Should I sell it at all baring in mind that I do already have a mac laptop?

Just wanted to put it out there before I just jump to selling it.

Thanks

2. Juan TS macrumors member

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Is this a Pavilion model or an Envy model HP? Brand new in the box the Pavilion model should get you somewhere around $400-$500 US dollars and the Envy should get you at least $800 US. It's a nice chunk of change either way and the specs on the laptop are pretty good. If you wanna ditch it quick then eBay would be a good bet however you'd take a hit on the fees and such from there. I'd leave it in the box as it'll be better for the resale of the item as well.

Perhaps throw in on the Marketplace board and see if you get any nibbles there. I think it's a pretty solid laptop so I don't think you'd have any issues getting a buyer.

Good luck.

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

In the UK it retails for £1199. I can only seem to find it new on HP's website as I think it is a new model.

It's the ENVY model with beats audio. I don't know how common it is in the US but I believe that it's brand new in the UK and I can't even find it for £800 let alone £800!

I will post in the marketplace and see if anyone shows any interest!

5. Juan TS macrumors member

As h1r0ll3r said, leave it on the box. Once something new is opened, no matter if you use it or not, it normally loses 1/3 of its original value. Also people seize for what is "new", not "almost new" or "barely used".

Think about it! :rolleyes:

6. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

Gumtree, then amazon, then ebay in my opinion if you are looking for good selling experience.

As you effectively got it for free, then I guess fees are not a concern.

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks, you've convinced me not to even touch it!

Thanks, as per your suggestion I have a post in the Marketplace on Macrumors and one on Gumtree. I'll see if anything comes of that then I'll look to amazon and finally eBay.

Never used amazon before for selling. Is there anything I should look out for?