Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will you do with the intel heat pads once the new M1 MacBook pros come?

• Sell it on craigslist and get mugged

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Give it to a loved one

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Other (post your answer)

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
What will you do with the intel heat pads once the new M1 MacBook pros come?
Please suggest new ideas also

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I always pass them on to family but this time I'm keeping my intel MBP as a backup and secondary device. New machine is for work + some personal stuff. Old machine is for compatibility with old software, dual booting, workshop stuff with lots of dust, etc.

Edit: to expand on this, if you're moving your primary rig from Intel to Apple Silicon for the first time you should keep your Intel machine around untouched for a good while if you have the option, especially if you're like me and are still running a very old 10.X version of macOS. You might run into issues with both the new silicon platform AND OS.

Last edited:

dinobear

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
well they are lighter and thinner. get used to the heavy notches ones then re-upgrade later to the thinner notchless design ?

I've always sold my old stuff on CL or ebay. But it's been a while now. Seems like those ways are dated.

Looking forward to upgrading in a year or two when everything is comparable with the new architectures. Glad to see apple getting rid of Touch Bar and adding in ports. +same design shape as the old Ti books - my first Mac.

For now my 64gb ram 5600m gpu has been amazing and will continue kicking ass and making me money.

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
Depends. One question is, how many devices have you around? I like to have some older ones around the house. For mails, or surfing, or coding, I do not need the strongest machine of all.
As always, it boils down to your situation and your needs (including need of money)!

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
$530?

I'm actually surprised apple gives me $480 for my 2014 15 inch mpb, not bad after using it for 7+ years, thats probably the only reason I'm getting the new one...besides the battery life lol

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Interesting idea but wouldn't it be economically more viable to just buy a new windows laptop with the sale proceeds?
Too many variables to answer that question without more information on how old your MBP is. I have a 2016 15” MBP with Flexgate issues that I am considering turning into a windows machine.

dtm84

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2021
I'm taking my old macbook pro in to work because my work computer is a locked down piece of garbage Dell that serves mcafee pop up ads and whatever other garbage. As per usual IT policy, if you have a mac you tend to have more system control.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I'll probably trade mine. I have a base 16" MBP that I bought on sale from Amazon for $1999 in July 2020 and Apple is offering me ~$1200(!). It's quite a price drop, but it does make the $3500 sticker price on my 14" M1 Max order a bit more palatable. I use my computer for work - so there's that...

I'll list on Craigslist this weekend to see if I get interest too at a higher price.

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
Trade-In or Rebuy prices (mostly) suck.
Just sell it on Ebay - or, here in Germany, Ebay-Kleinanzeigen which is free and became very popular.
My 2015 MBP is still in top shape, display+topcase+battery had been replaced 11/2019 thus it still looks like new. But of course, prices will drop now. Fine for me, since I can also sell my iMac 2017 to get a cheaper external monitor instead and do all of my work on the new MBP solely.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Mine got valued at $570 for tradein which I found insulting - then I went on eBay and saw they're only going for $600-800 to begin with. Not worth as much as I thought for a 3 year old Mac. These recent Intel machines sure didn't hold their resale value like Macs of the past.

Reactions: SHNXX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.