What to do with MB Intel Core Duo 2ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by newConvert, Sep 1, 2010.

1. newConvert macrumors regular

Hello, looking for advice here on what to use my old mb for. It tops out a 2gigs ram and 2ghz, so I'm hoping I could somehow use it as a media center. I'd imagine it'll have a tough time playing 1080p.. A couple of questions

1. Its actually having troubles starting up right now, is there a diagnostic mode I can put it in?

2. Think I could get SL Server on there?

3. I've seen in a few mac models that aren't listed as working with certain amounts of ram, actually do recognize it... anyone know if its possible to cram 4 gigs into the intel core duo? It was the first intel one I believe.

Thanks!

Edit: From what I can see it does top out at 2gigs... think it'd be worth puttin in a ssd + hd in the dvd bay? OWC has a 40gig ssd for $99 at the moment.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

2. System requirements
    Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard disk.

* Mac desktop or server with Intel processor
    * 10GB of available disk space
    * 2GB of RAM

3. 2GB maximum. Any more and it won't start.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

1. Apple Hardware Test. Pop in the first Restore DVD and boot up pressing D.

2. Yes but why?

I don't think you would be happy with the results of 1080p playback. The GMA950 and Core Duo CPU along with a 2G ceiling put restrictions in the way. You can get it to play but there will be dropped frames and nothing else can be going on at the same time. You may have to re-encode videos for the best results. Better off to sell it and buy a 9400m-based mini.

4. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, how much do you think I could get for it? the case is cracked and the dvd drive is busted too (was going to load SL on via usb).. i'm thinking not much.

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Yeah definitely not much my friend. You could sell it as a parts machine, though. However, I still wouldn't be expecting too much for it. Whereas it's a few years old, doesn't work right, and has broken parts, I'd only really say selling it for a couple hundred bucks man. It's better than nothing though :p

6. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the advice thus far... So if my dvd drive is broken, think it'd be possible to run the hardware diagnostics if I made an iso of the install disc, then load it onto a usb key?

7. hakuin macrumors regular

You could try installing GMAbooster. It will increase your GMA950 clock speed from 166/133 MHz up to either 250 or 400 Mhz. 1080p should be possible.

here:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4829-gmabooster-for-mac.html