What to do with my 1.8 G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hackcomic.com, May 7, 2008.

1. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

My new 24" 2.8 iMac comes in today.

The big question- what should I do with my old computer? It's a 1.8 G5 with 1.5 of Ram.

Can I hook it into my new imac and act as another processor? Or is it now just basically a big external hard drive and firewire port and I should simply sell it on Ebay?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Weeeeeell, you could give to me and I'd use it to replace an old G4 server.... ;)

Otherwise, unless you need a file/media server or second computer, selling it on eBay is probably a good move =]

3. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

What exactly does a file/ media server do for me?

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you have to ask, you probably don't need it....

Personally, I use an old G4 as a media server (to stream our 250gb+ music library to a roku soundbridge elsewhere in the house) and another as a file/mail/web/irc server.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeh serve it up!

shove some high capacity hard drives in that PowerMac, plug it into a wireless router and then file serve to the iMac wirelessly using AFP.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

7. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Yeah. Probably would give you the most benefit. Or give it away to a family member/needy person.

8. mikethemovie macrumors member

Like me.. hehe.. lol..
    I would sell it.. You dont need it anymore.. You will get some money out of it.. And it makes you Imac cheaper ;)

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Another for selling it. If you only use one computer in your house and do not have an apple tv or another networkable media appliance there really is no need for a server, it will just needlessly burn up electricity.

Even with using it as a media server for the price you could get for the G5 you could build a much lower wattage Linux media server with RAID 5.

10. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Give it to parents/grandparents/siblings/friends, or sell it.

Oh - and in case you hadn't figured from the replies above, the answer to

is (realistically) 'no'.

11. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I could do that- plug it into my Airport Extreme- which basically sounds like it just makes it a high priced external drive case.

I do have my own web site that I pay a yearly fee to be hosted by an outside company- but I'm not sure I'd even know what to do to host it myself or if it would be worth it.

12. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

I was actually planning to keep the 19" viewsonic as a second screen and just sell the G5 itself.

13. duck69 macrumors newbie

G5

"It's better to be safe than sorry"

Keep it. You may never need it again BUT then again..... What if ?

For instance the power supply recently went out on my Intel Mac, thank goodness I still had my MDD G4.:D

14. vga4life macrumors 6502

Sell it. G5s are very power-hungry machines. Keeping one powered on as a server will be noticeable on your electricity bill.

If you need more of a server than a Time Machine, buy a mac mini and some firewire drives.

15. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all. I'm really not sure why would need a server- so I'll probably be selling this.

I do have a few external drives- as I do video editing of my own shorts- but like I said- I may as well just get some external firewire enclosures for those. Which I guess probably means getting a firewire hub for my new imac.