What to do with my 2011 21.5'' iMac with a bad LCD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by uanuglyfool, Sep 26, 2013.

1. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

I try not to bug this community very often but I really need some advice.

I purchased it Mid 2011 and this past summer the Applecare expired. Just recently the LCD started acting up and two lines have formed across the screen. I took it to the Apple store today and was told it would cost around $500 to replace the LCD. Even the genius agreed that it wasn't worth paying that price since its almost half of a new iMac.

I've invested quite a bit of money into my mac including adding 16GBs of RAM and installing a 128GB SSD.

Should I sell it on Craigslist? How much would I get for it with the bad LCD?

Here are the specs for my iMac: 21'' 2.7 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 128GB SSD.

1.png

2.jpeg

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

How can the AppleCare expired that fast? If you buy it in mid 2011, it would be expired at least in mid 2014 so you're covered. Bring it back to Apple and you can sell it after the LCD is replaced. Worth much more money.

3. uanuglyfool thread starter macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

i checked Apple's recycling program and I would only get $580 :/ essentially the price of the LCD!

4. dtjay7 macrumors regular

If you decide to sell it, I have an iMac with a bad logic board that would work well with it.

5. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Hook an external monitor up and stash the iMac away.

6. uanuglyfool thread starter macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

Hmm. Not a bad idea.

Insane how much a logic board will cost you. Might as well buy a new iMac. I don't think I would want to sell mine for less than $1000.

7. dtjay7 macrumors regular

My son uses an iMac with an external monitor, works great that way. If the original display is not too bad you could use both and just use the external as the primary display. That way the speakers and the camera are right there. The one with the damaged logic board just sits out in the garage. I am not actively looking at fixing it.

8. uanuglyfool thread starter macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

Yeah I think I will end up doing this. The iMac works great but those lines look pretty bad. I'll just suck it up.

9. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

You could remove the stand and lay it flat. Your cat would love it.