What to do with my blueberry clamshell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMpathetic, Jan 1, 2008.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I'm currently in the process of converting a blueberry clamshell iBook into being a useful mobile laptop. My question is- for what? It's currently running OS 9.1 with 288MB RAM and the stock 3GB hard drive. It has an AirPort card too. This thing is in such pristine condition I can't bear to let it go to waste. I am typing on it now, as a matter of fact. I'm just wondering what to do with it. How much are new or high-capacity batteries? Mine is shot.

I'm just uneasy as to what to do with this once my mini arrives-any thoughts?

2. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

OWC have replacement batteries: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook/battery/ibook-g3-clamshell/

for US$119.99

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

4. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Nah. I just bought it for $75 and doubt I could sell it for any more.

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

LOL! good point.

How about: frame it and put it up as a work of art.

6. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Haha. Well, I actually have it sitting on a shelf in my bedroom most of the time. Those Clammies are just too good-looking to hide away :D

7. Billz macrumors newbie

I remember when those first came out, I wanted one so bad, but I never got one.:( Oh well. Lifes not fair I guess.;) Enjoy yours.

Bill

8. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

I would just say use it, you can get a new battery on ebay for under $60 and a HD for under $30 so for under 100 beans you could have a real nice laptop for web surfing and word processing, even use your ipod on it.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Dude, sell it and get a PBG4 or something for mobile. That thing has no power and is quite heavy. Just my thought

10. Kelly™ macrumors regular

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

a similiar one to yours on ebay went for $425... Item number: 290193904750

and since yours also has the airport and maxed memory i think you can get at least twice or as much as 3 times as much as you paid for it, considering it's condition. they seem to be quite popular.

12. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

i would say no more than 175 to 200 just from my experience.

13. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Tell you what you should do actually.
    Since it is in such great condition.

Box it up properly, cord in all. Wrap everything in sealed plastic electrostatic bags with plenty of anti-moisture bag thingies and place it somewhere dry and cool but not freezing.
    Leave it there until your like 80 and either pass it on to your kids/grand-kids or sell it then. I'm sure a working model in great condition would be worth tons in another 20 or 30 + years as a collectible.

14. JMD123 macrumors member

15. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

sell it to me?

16. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

What a great idea!

The worlds most expensive/fastest processer table support!

17. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

wow everyone is hating on the clamshell, i think they are pretty decent computers i mean as long as you don't expect to do alot of heavy programs on it.

18. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Hehe.... That's exactly why I have it, if you catch my drift. ;)

Well, it's possible that I could... but I might trade both of them (I got a Tangerine as well) plus a 233MHz Series II Wallstreet with wifi for like a TiBook, an iBook G4, or a Pismo, if that's doable.

19. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Hey again, thread readers. OK, it's been like 5 minutes, but whatever. This brings back memories of an old Tangerine I had. It had 320MB of RAM, 10.2, AirPort, and an honest-to-god 6hr battery. It was sorely missed for a while; can't believe I traded it for a 450MHz Sawtooth.

On another note, would the Series II WallStreet be a better machine for fooling around on the interwebs with?

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah, starting with most OS X versions. There has been a lot of clamshell threads lately and I don't really see the draw to them. They are old, and slow. They had their time and place in the spotlight, but seriously, why would anyone use a computer that is slow and underpowered? I find it hard to believe that it is because they 'look cute'.

Bro, you're wasting your time with the Clamshell. You wasted $75 on it. With the airport broken you can't even use it wirelessly (for itunes, or on the LAN). Its time to find a permanent place for it on the shelf.

21. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

NEVER!!!!! I can too use it wirelessly. AP works fine. You've never even owned a clam have you...:(

22. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I just bought a blueberry clamshell for my main laptop. With a $10 wireless USB dongle, I can use it pretty much anywhere.

All I need to do with it is surf the web, and a little bit of iTunes, and with 160 MB of RAM, it does that just fine.

23. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

I just bought a blueberry clamshell, it comes tomorrow. Me and my hubby are going to stick a dvd drive in it and max out the ram and hardrive. I can't wait.

24. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

that's what i have been saying this whole time. The clamshell is a great laptop and when you use one for awhile and go to something else you will miss it. I had one for a looooooong time and went to a dual usb and missed it like a champ.