What to do with my core duo macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacLovin78, Nov 4, 2009.

1. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

So I pulled the trigger last night and got a new Macbook Pro FC026LL/A off the refurb store. It is a 2.66GHZ 15.4" with 320GB HD, 4 GB Ram and 512MB VRAM with the dual Nvidia graphics. It retailed for $1999 and I got it for $1599 + tax (great deal in my opinion). It doesn't have SD or 7hr battery, but I don't think I cared enough about either of those.

So my question is, what should I do with my Core Duo 2.0 Macbook? I was thinking I could sell it at work or on ebay and get around $400 for it. But then I was thinking that it may be worth more to strip down and sell the parts individually. Here are the specs let me know what you think I could get for it as is and whether it is worth it to sell the parts individually

Core Due 2.0
    2 GB Ram
    200 GB Hard Drive
    OSX Leopard - stand alone install disk

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You could part it out but it would be labor intensive and only net you a little bit more. If the parts are in like new condition. Any marks, knicks, dings or scratches will kill a parts value.

I would just eBay it. With a good description of condition including the current battery capacity and number of charge cycles (you can use coconut battery for this), list any accessories, only list software you include the original discs for, list the specs (actually type them in rather than the obvious and ugly cut and paste), and give plenty of pictures.

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I would just sell it as a system. Which Macbook is it? By Core Duo 2.0 do you mean Core2Duo, or is it really CoreDuo?

4. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

I think the 2.0 refers to processor speed. CoreDuo 2.00GB (Like my mid-year 2006 Black MacBook).

5. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

Are Core Duo Macbooks really worth $400? Im curious to know what a 1st Gen 15" would be?

6. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Heh, this is exactly what I'll be going through as soon as new macbook pros are released, been using my Core Duo Macbook, I bought it two months before the damn Core 2 Duo ones came out.

I'm either going to give mine to a family member or sell it, haven't decided yet.

7. MacLovin78 thread starter macrumors regular

It is a CoreDuo 2.0GHZ that I purchased in September of 2006 a few months before the Core 2 Duo came out. I will probably just try and sell it on ebay. I looked and base line models are going for $400 or so.

Would you sell the Leopard separately or with the system?

I picked up the refurb because I need it for work. The coreduo doesn't have the horsepower for virtualbox. I figure for the price I paid I can sell it for nearly what I paid and pick up a new mb pro with the quad core if/when they come out.

The coreduo is the first computer that last me 3 years so I figure this mb pro could easily last me as long if not longer.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Last I checked in August they went from $400 to $575. Depending on RAM, HD, physical appearance, battery life, original discs, original accessories, ad layout and original box with packing material.

So if it is beat up with 512mb RAM then it will not do so well. If it has the full 3GB RAM, upgraded HD, Leopard/Snow Leopard, mint condition and all the original stuff it could hit the $550 to $600 range.

I would probably keep it together. As the buyer's will likely want to upgrade to Snow Leopard (though technically you don't need the Leopard disc to upgrade from). I doubt the price difference would be worth the extra hassle.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

10. MacLovin78 thread starter macrumors regular

It came to $1698 with tax. The specs on the one I am getting are better than the new one with the exception of the battery.

Mine:
    L2 Cache 6MB shared
    System bus 1066MHz
    Graphics Memory 512MB GDDR3

<http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC026LL/A>