what to do with my Cube and 1.8ghz G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by proverbs, Feb 3, 2012.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

hello everyone.

i was cleaning out my storage space this past week and ran into my old Cube and 1.8ghz G5 computers. i took them to the house and looked at them -- these things still look AMAZING! i'm not sure how much money i can get for these things, but i don't think i'll get much. so, i was wondering if there is anything cool i can do with these computers. i don't have much space, money and time to spend on them, but i would like to try to do something with them. its amazing how much Apple was ahead of their time with the design concepts of these computers.

i'm currently using a macbook pro, attached to my old 20" adc cinema display.

any suggestions will be appreciated! :)

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The cube would make a nice simple TV computer :) Definitely don't just chuck them away, cubes are becoming pretty rare these days.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The Cube doesn't take up any space. That is why mine is setup and running. ADC displays are so cheap now you can add a 17" Studio LCD or ever a 20" Cinema display to your cube for cheap and enjoy using a little piece of Apple artwork every day. Mine is setup on the dresser and plays SD video or works great for some web browsing and iTunes.

4. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

is it expensive to set it up as a TV computer? how would that work? i'm thinking i can use it for dvd movies, but how would it work for TV?

also, the processor is very slow. mine is 450mhz. however, i do remember upgrading the hard drive to 120gb and getting a 32 mb video card when i was using it about 6-7 years ago. i think even browsing the web would be very laggy.

5. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'd, as Hrududu said with the cube, snap up a studio display and use it as a web browser/media centre and the G5, well the G5's a still usable for near enough anything you want to do on a computer. I'm actually buying a G5 in April to use as my main machine. Even if you don't have a use for the cube, hold on to it for at least a few more years as the prices they're going for is rising all the time.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Depending on the graphics cards ports / what inputs your TV has. You can get very cheap DVI to HDMI adapters, the cube wouldn't be able to run any HD videos as already mentioned, but it would be able to be used as a sweet little media pc, you could can a mac compatible wireless keyboard and mouse for exceptionally cheap too.

EDIT: Because of how rare cubes are these days, you might want to look into selling it tbh, if you don't feel you have a genuine need for it.