What to do with my current iPhone 4 32Gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abta1, Oct 19, 2011.

1. abta1 macrumors 6502

I have a 32Gb iPhone 4 black which has served me well since launch last year however the home button has become unresponsive at times and the casing around the edges has become chipped. Also the rear glass panel now slides from slide to slide by about 1mm if pushed.

I don't have extended applecare so I was wondering from you all what my options are in terms of repair, living with it until the 5 or trade in towards a 4S.

I am in the UK and it is an unlocked phone bought from Apple. It has no scratches on the front or back, only chips around the edges/corners and is otherwise in perfect working condition.

The options that I can think of are:

1) Extend Applecare for another year and take it into an apple shop and see what they will do (any ideas what they would do for me?)

2) Sell it on eBay.

3) Trade it in with one of the network providers/carphone warehouse etc, how much would I get? Would the condition make a difference to the trade in value? I would guess so. I am using a sim only contract with it so I don't think I can qualify for any upgrade discount.

4) Just keep it and wait until the iPhone 5.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

3. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. LoveBrisk macrumors newbie

LoveBrisk

If you repaired the button you should also be fixing the class edge issue at the same time. That entire section of the iPhone 4 is all together and when replacing you just replace the entire thing. If you spent the 150$ USD then you'd have a nice pretty phone again but you could just sell it on eBay for a good 350 to be honest. I sold a bad señor/charger port/broken screen iPhone 4 16gb black with a true white conversion kit attached for 330 so you go do the math lol. Your options are open so explore them all!!

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Generally they don't actually "repair" it, they swap out for a refurbished one.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

There is also the option to ask for a battery replacement. Tell them you want a new battery and they will swap out the phone with a refurbished one. If the damage is too bad to it that might not be an option. Here the charge is half the out of warranty replacement cost.

7. abta1, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So if I opted to pay the £60 for AppleCare, if I took the phone into an apple store what's the likeliest thing they would do?

9. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it looks like you can't get applecare after your first year of warranty has run out so that's out of the question now.

If I pay for the out of warranty repair for the home button issue, given the cosmetic damage to the bezel and antenna bar, will they just replace it with a refurb? Also, if they do, would they replace it with a white one?

10. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken, they sell the repair kits..you can get a new screen and home button AND it's easy and cheaper