What to do with my current laptop once i get my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gelatin, Mar 21, 2008.

1. gelatin macrumors 6502

currently have a 14 inch ibook g4. once i back up everything to my new lappy what should i do?
    is it worth selling it? what have you people in similar situations done?

2. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I've kept my 12" Powerbook G4 and i still use it now and then, usually taking it to work when I don't need the power of my MBP or to cafes and hot spots because Its much more portable.
    But, I love my PB and its a completely different size to my MBP.
    the 14" I guess isn't that much smaller so you could try and sell it, what condition is it in? or you could just keep it as a web browser or something

3. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

im gonna be getting the 17 incher.
    my ibook has one small crack and a replaced battery, upgraded ram.
    my family want me to give it to them but i have a sentimental attachment to it :eek:
    when you got your new one did you wipe all the crap off your old one?

4. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

I gave my windows laptop to my mum, but I still have a windows desktop. I couldn't really live with just 1 computer, and 2 is good, I'm sure I could find a use for 3 but my mum needed it.

5. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

yup i reinstalled the OS, I didn't bother installing iLife. Its just safari & iTunes plus a few plug-ins downloaded from the net. It runs pretty fast since it has a 100GB 7200rpm in there. If your family could use it, why not give it to them? Thats what I usually do with my old macs.

6. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

possibly but I know that a- they would struggle to adappt to mac and b- I fear they won't take care of my baby. If I sell it to a stranger I wont see the mistreatmnt and seeing as they bought it they would wanna take care of it. I'm just wodering the priced could get roughly

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Make it into a little media server. Store your videos, music, podcasts on there. If you have an XBOX, put Connect360 on it.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Dude, it's your family. The people who changed and fed and raised you for almost two decades. Is the couple hundred you'd make from the sale to a stranger really worth it?

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

^ Make it a digital cookbook. Load some recipes and give it as a gift to the family.

10. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Blow it up?

Nah kidding. I like the idea of keeping it as a media server.

11. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Amen!

12. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Im doing the same thing as you, but I want to upgrade to a 15".

I want to frame mine in a shadow box above my bed. It will be with me forever.

Until I move.........

13. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

14. gcortega macrumors member

throw it at someone, give it away, sell it, or give it back to Apple so they can recycle it.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I've experienced that "sentimental attachment" to old macs too, but in my experience, once you have the new one it's easy to give up the old one. And once it's gone, you'll never miss it.

Definitely give it to your family so that it can continue to get some good use.

16. dingster1 macrumors regular

I'm gonna donate mine to a person at my church who doesn't have one.

17. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

You could probably get a good 400+ from it on ebay, so if you need the cash then sell it. If you don't need the cash then donate it to someone who doesn't have a comp/needs one ... church or something like someone mentioned. Or... give it to your family.

OR.... if they don't NEED a laptop. Sell it on ebay for 4-500 and then use that money and buy a refurb 1.83 core2duo or core duo mac mini from the apple refurb store (499 and 479 respectively) and give THAT to your family so you don't have to worry about a dying g4 as a intro to mac world or seeing your baby mistreated... and they can call apple when tehy have a problem for 3 months and take it in for a problem :)

18. operator207 macrumors 6502

I'm posting this because I did not see anyone else post it.

Turn it into a carputer. Apparently its cool to do that. :)