Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrubbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
long time reader .. first time poster
here is my situation ..

i am going to buy a 15" powerbook as soon as the newest crop is released. i currently have my music (more than 30gb) on a fat32 drive on my pc where it is played. i keep my pc in linux 99% of the time, only switching to windows to sync my 20gb ipod.

when i get my powerbook, ideally i would like to format my ipod to the mac file system and use the powerbook to sync it. is there an easy way to do this while keeping my music on my pc (which is always in linux).

i really dont want to have 3 copies of songs all over the place

any ideas would be greatly appreciated
thanks

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I guess you could tell iTunes (on the Powerbook) that your iTunes library is on a network drive, the network drive being the hard drive in your Linux/Windows PC. I don't know that this will work because I've never tried it, it's just the first thought that popped into my mind. If it were me, I'd just copy the whole library over to your Mac. Another option would be to get a Firewire/USB external hard drive and put all your music on that. Then you could use the drive on both the PC and the Mac I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.