what to do with my old iPhone 1st Gen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Jun 21, 2009.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

OK - so I've upgraded to the 3GS and I'm loving it. I can tell already that my 1st Gen phone is just going to sit in my drawer collecting dust, so I probably don't need to keep it. As far as I know I have the following options:

1. I could keep it and use it as an iPod Touch. But what about syncing it with my iTunes? Won't my iTunes get confused? Won't it try to activate it? Will it mess up the syncing of my contacts?

2. I could keep it as a backup iPhone should something happen to my 3GS. This is what I heard but is it true? If I lost my 3GS, could I switch back to using my old phone? Would AT&T allow that? I imagine buying a replacement 3GS phone would cost me full retail price, so having a backup might be a good idea. But then would I really want to go back to the 1st Gen phone? Not sure.

3. I could sell it online.

4. I could give it to my friend who has family in Mexico who would love to have an iPhone. For them it's very expensive to buy one and they would be thrilled to have even a 1st Gen iPhone. I think this is probably what I will do. I might just give it away too, since I did get the phone as a refurb and paid like $200 for it.

So, if I do give away my 1st Gen iPhone, what should I do to the phone before giving it away? I really don't want to give away all my contacts and text messages, etc. Is there a simple way to erase everything off the iPhone? Is there a way to erase all the data but leave all the programs? I know when they go to set up the phone for their use, the programs will get removed but I figured they could at least check them out before setting up the phone for themselves. I also need to erase everything without messing up the data on my 3GS phone. I see there's a Reset option in the Settings of the iPhone. What does Reset do? What does it delete, what does it leave untouched?

Thanks!

2. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I imagine a lot of people would be willing to purchase it.

3. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

Addressing your points in turn:

1. I still have my old iPhone around, and both it and my new iPhone sync happily with my notebook. I use it primarily as a WiFi remote for my iTunes library. The issue with keeping it as an iPod Touch is you need to reactivate the iPhone whenever you update the firmware, which needs a compatible SIM.

2. You could, I switch my SIM back into my original iPhone every now and then for the reason outlined in point 1 above and it works fine. The only problem is if you actually lose the phone, or something happens to it that renders you unable to use your SIM.

3. You could.

4. You could too.

As for wiping the iPhone, I think restoring factory settings is enough to wipe the phone. Or, if you have MobileMe, be lazy and remote wipe it, that way you don't even need to bother plugging it into your computer :p

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I use my original iPhone as an iPod and as a way to check my email around Wifi spots

Very useful

5. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... I already own an 80G iPod since I own over 50G of music. So, I don't really need another iPod. And I'm always going to have my iPhone 3GS with me, which, with 32G, will have more stuff on it than my old iPhone (8G). So I don't really see myself carrying around both iPhones. I usually keep my iPod in my bag with me wherever I go, so I'm already carrying around 2 devices. I don't really need a third.

Hmm - maybe I'll give it to my friend who can sell it to his family and use the money to upgrade his iPhone 3G to 3GS (since he has to pay $499 if he wants to do that).

Do I leave the SIM card in my old iPhone when I give it away or sell it? No harm in that, right?

6. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Take the SIM card out. Do NOT give the SIM card to anyone.

7. franzmueller macrumors regular

nr. 4

Sell it to your friend for 100.- , his family in Mexico get a cheap iphone and you get some cash for it

Everybody is happy

Saludos

Franz

8. The Doop macrumors member

I'm pretty sure the iPhone 2G demand is still pretty high due to the cheaper data plan. Throw it on craigslist for $100ish!

9. wjbnyc macrumors newbie

sold mine for $230

I sold my old iphone 1st gen on ebay thursday night. I had the box and all the stuff. i got $230.
    But what about the SIM card?
    My new 3GS is working fine, my old phone can not make calls, shows "no service" on the top of the screen
    Isn't restoring the phone to factory defaults enough?
    I can also fill with MP3's, erase, fill again, erase..s o on to over-write the 8GB of memory.
    I don't see how a sim card would be able to help any one or to do me harm.
    I have seen people use all CAPS to say REMOVE SIM!!!! as if my world will end if i forget to remove.
    Can anyone explain why it needs to be removed?

Thanks!

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

You could give it to me! ;)

I really miss my first gen. Wish I hadn't have sold it.

11. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

You can easily get more than $100 for it. My 2G iPhone has a huge spiderweb crack and someone on eBay bought it for $100. If it's in good condition, unlock and jailbreak this sucker and then eBay it.

12. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

This may depend on how you activated your new phone and whether or not you unlock the original iPhone. If unlocked, it will not accept a SIM that has not been used/paired in it previously. (It shows a connect to iTunes graphic) and asks to be activated.

If anyone knows a way around this, let me know! I plan on using mine as a remote control as well.