What to do with my old Macbook Unibody..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Saintlycow, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Saintlycow macrumors newbie

I've recently bought a new IMac and I'm left wondering what to do with my old 13" Unibody Macbook? I already have a 4s and a IPad2. Is there any way to "dock" the laptop and use it strictly as a hard drive? I guess I'm just looking for some tips or idea. Thanks in advance

2. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Seeing as how you don't need it and apparently don't have a lot of demands on your money, sell it cheap and make someone happy. With the money you could buy a few external hard drives with much more storage.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Sell it perhaps? Apple laptops have really good resale value, you can sell and buy yourself some accessories for your iMac like a Time machine for example if you dont have one.

4. nickds macrumors newbie

The logic board is dead in my 2009 unibody one, please sell me it ! :)

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

To answer your question, yes it is possible.

Is it a good idea? Probably not. The computer would have to be running and booted (although not to the OS) the entire time. You'd also have a greater risk that it would die (the logic board or memory could go out and it would stop working even though the HDD was fine).

I'd suggest (as have others) that you sell the MacBook and use the money to buy an external drive. There are lots of options. USB, FireWire, Thunderbolt, TimeCapsule, etc.

You could also give it as a gift and become someone's favorite Aunt/Uncle/cousin/etc..

6. Dav1boy macrumors member

+1 on this

7. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

No, send me a PM and I will send you my address. With that, you can mail me the MacBook and in return, I will give you 25GB's of free cloud space from Microsoft. :rolleyes: