What to do with my old MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KUguardgrl13, Oct 23, 2013.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm still waiting to order a new Haswell rMBP, but I wanted some advice on what to do about my current mid-2009 MBP.

The issues: Cosmetically, it's in good shape. Some minor scratches and dents and bent "ears". The display, keyboard, trackpad, SuperDrive, ports, and fan all function normally. The SATA cable needs to be replaced, and the hard drive may have some corruption (but it's only 5 months old). I suspect there are logic board issues that result in the SATA cable burn outs, but with a working cable it works just fine. The battery is at 75% and about 400 cycles.

I know there are a few options. I can sell it on craigslist as is for parts or a fixer upper ($75-$150, listed at $200 OBO). If I gloss over the bad SATA cable Gazelle quoted $200, and Apple Recycling quoted around $175. I offered it to a friend of mine with another higher specd mid-2009 (also 13") for parts to fix his ($0, but I don't have to worry about personal data being recovered).

On the other hand my boyfriend thinks I should get Apple to fix or replace it for me because I started having issues while I still had AppleCare, and they still haven't been resolved even though I've taken it in several times in the last 5 months and not been charged.

I've also thought about replacing the battery and connecting the HDD via USB or FireWire and having it sit on my desk for media storage.

So what would you guys do? Selling it is pretty much chump change, but getting it fully working again may be close to what my new rMBP will cost. I don't need two laptops, but it'd be nice since the MBP still has a SuperDrive (just in case). Repairs should also last longer than they have been since I won't be taking it up to campus every day.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I sell to PowerBook Medic (http://www.powerbookmedic.com/sell.php) once in a while. Usually get paid within 10-12 days and they offer much better prices than Gazelle or similar because they part the machines out themselves.

I put $50 into fixing up an early 2006 MBP that I paid $20 for, and sold it to them for $215, just as an example. I ran your machine and it estimates $379- I've never had it be far off that estimate. That's AppleCare on your new machine, and a USB SuperDrive too if you get student pricing.

3. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

I agree with your BF. Go to Apple, see what they can do for you. If the problem started while under warranty, and they didn't fix it, and it keeps coming back, they should still own resolving it.

Up to you if you want to see if they'll take it in partial trade for a new rMBP, or replace it with a new refurb you can turn around and sell outright, etc.

4. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If those numbers are true, that's a lot better than what I could get elsewhere!! Might be worth it.

Yeah, I've tried dealing with it at the Genius level, but the last one was pretty terrible (came in with flashing folder, he wiped the HDD and reinstalled OS X; told me to be more careful moving it :p). Can't decide if I should bother with the store manager or go straight to corporate. I think BF is pushing me down this route so he can take the replacement for himself :p. He also likes to stick it to corporate America, and he thinks the Geniuses have been jerking me around.

5. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

All valid options. Or you can donate it. Sometimes, if I'm only getting a nominal amount for something and I know someone else can use it - after fixing - of course, I prefer to donate.

Don't worry about the cost of fixing. Organizations have volunteers who help with things like that.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Upon re-reading I realized I ran the numbers for a 15". 13" would be somewhat less. Sorry to get your hopes up.

7. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Ah, oh well. And I already took out the 8gb RAM since I paid decent money for that in June. Not like that makes a huge difference to resellers though.

----------

Thanks for the idea! Certainly something to consider.

8. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

If you debating about weither or not to sell on e-bay. My first MBP that I sold sold, but it sold for probably half the cost of what I bought it for. The decision is up to you.

Though, is it refurbished? Mine was, that may have had something to do with it selling so cheap.

9. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I bought mine new in 2009.

10. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

No, I meant was anything replaced in it, like the logic board, slot drive... etc... etc? Mine was, maybe that is why it didn't sell that well.

11. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Hard drive has been replaced twice, and the SATA cable 4 or 5 times.

I've heard of Apple offering replacements if you've had it in a bunch of times while in warranty. My warranty expired in June 2012, but I still got free "repairs" afterward. Is it worth asking for a replacement even though my warranty is expired? I got my new rMBP, but I had to because I need a working computer.

12. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I would sell it on Craigslist, if you are cautious, do a cash and meet sale you should be fine :)

13. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I wouldn't know about asking about a free replacement, but good luck!