What to do with my orginal iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bayourock, Jun 11, 2009.

1. bayourock macrumors member

I have ordered the new 3Gs.... i was planning on giving my old iPhone to my girlfriend who is on my family plan....

My question is, she doesnt use any data.....she doesnt use email, web, etc.....
    How do i make sure that she doesnt use any data once she gets it??? Is there a way to turn the data off???

I am aware that if i can get this done, that she would lose visual voicemail...but im ok with that.....

Any thoughts????

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Without the data plan the iPhone looses a lot of value. You could have her use it as a iPod Touch (no phone) and keep her other phone.

3. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

if you jail break it I believe there is an app that you can shut off edge data..so she could use only wifi if she wants and not incure data charges...google around you'll find it...

4. bayourock thread starter macrumors member

Is just that i dont want to pay $20 a month for a service she'll never use....

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

are you married? why are you paying your girlfriends phone bill in the first place?

honestly, if she isn't going to use the data, then she doesnt need an iphone. she needs a ipod touch and a regular phone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if you want to do that you can.
    You can give her the old iphone and block the data on it. She can use all the internet features on it when she's near wifi and keep the same plan.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Why do you care what he pays for dude?:D
    Thats his problem.

8. bayourock thread starter macrumors member

I just talk to ATT and tell them to block data for that line???

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You'll probably have to jailbreak it and block data then.
    or you can go to this site and change the apn on it so it cant use any data unless its not on wifi.
    www.unlockit.co.nz

Did you try sticking her sim card into your iphone 2G?
    If it works its good, if it tells you to plug into itunes then you'll have to jailbreak it.

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Once I get my new phone and activate it I assume my old phone will immediately be deactivated? How do you use the old iPhone as an iPod? Do you have to take the sim card out? I thought when the phone is not activated you can't get past that emergency call page.

11. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I went through this last year about this time. You will basically have two activated phones for anywhere from 1 minute to a couple of hours. At which point your new phone will be activated and you will get a text message notification and your old phone will be deactivated automatically. The sim chip in the old phone is now essentially useless, however, the old phone will still function fully except for getting a cell signal and all the stuff that goes with that. You should be able to restore it (i did to sell mine) without hassle and it will "activate" it when you do but will still be in "iPod touch mode" meaning all the apps will function on wifi only (for the ones that need data) and phone / sms will do nothing. It will also not get a cell signal in this mode. You will need to activate it with an active sim and account to get it to pick up a cell signal again.

To activate it you will need your girlfriend's sim card from her phone. Just put it in and it should be good to go. You may need to go into an ATT corp store or call a CSR to make sure data is blocked on it. I would also monitor your account to make sure they don't ninja that data plan onto the phone. You probably already know this but make sure to power cycle the phone when you swap sims, ie, turn it off, take one out, put the other in, turn in back on.

12. nippyjun macrumors 65816

why do you have to restore the old phone. Can't you just use the wipe all feature?

13. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

That is a good point assuming you have MobileMe.

14. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Can't you just go into the iphone settings on the phone itself and wipe everything. I forgot the name of the setting to do this but i believe there is such a setting.

15. chox99 macrumors regular

I can't belive no one gave OP the simple, short answer.

1. Jailbreak 2G iPhone.
    2. Install APN Setting tweak from Cydia
    3. Enter Gibberish on APN setting (I put epc.t-mobile.com, I'm a ATT customer)
    4. Watch your data meter stays on 0kb. Enjoy.

If you don't wanna Jailbreak. Follow the directions below. (I stole it from modmyi)
    "Upon having this dilemma I was searching for a solution and have found one. This should work for other sims as well (such as a tracfone.) but I used the Nextel (iDen) sim card.

to have access to apn settings on your T-mo. iPhone without the use of the Cydia hack, simply do the following:

1. Go to the main/lock screen and remove your T-mobile sim.

2. Steal a non ATT/Tmobile sim (I used a Nextel and it worked for myself)and put it in the phone.

3. The phone will read no service of course, however were not worried about that. now go to General>Network>Cellular Data (this is where you enter your apn)

4. Do not leave this screen, now change back to your T-mobile sim.

5. Wait for service, then enter your apn.

6. Viola! You have a valid apn on your phone without the Cydia hack. Note this is not permanent and the phone will revert to normal settings once you have left the Settings app, but you will still have the apn settings retained. Good for when you dont have wifi or dont feel like installing stuff. Most people probably dont need this, but I figured Id share what I know."

16. FunkyTang macrumors regular

Give-it-away give-it-away give-it-away now!