What to do with my Power Mac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JonDavisPhoto, Nov 30, 2007.

1. JonDavisPhoto macrumors newbie

JonDavisPhoto

So I've had a quicksilver 933 power mac for almost 6 years now. I've upgraded to a laptop G4 and now mac pro tower (it ROCKS) The quicksilver has 120gb hd, 1.25gb RAM OS X leopard

I wanted to keep my quicksilver as an office computer for email itunes address ical and basics like that. I've also upgraded to leopard on everything to keep the same. But i'm finding the computer to have issues just doing some simple things... like syncing with my iPhone... i get the spinning ball of death half the time...

Any ideas of what i should use it for or if i should sell/trade it in for a little intel mac mini?

What can i do with it now.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

maybe downgrade the G4 to Tiger if it's having problems with Leopard and then use it as you suggested (email, itunes, ical, etc.)?

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Connect it to your Mac Pro Via Gigabit Ethernet and use it as a file server or file backup. You can also downgrade to OS 9 and have a hard core classic gaming system.

4. volvoben macrumors 6502

It seems a bit odd that it has trouble with daily tasks...the 867 quicksilver at work was the test machine for leopard, and it runs leopard very well, very close to the G5 1.6 next to it...If the problems are more performance related i'd probably just reinstall leopard from scratch to be sure it can't fulfill your original purpose.

If you'd prefer to do something else with it, i'd say file server is #1, particularly if you have a lot of pata drives kicking around (it would make a nice time machine server for your other 2 macs). it could be run headless of course.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I use mine as file server for my mini CoreDuo and as my tv recording space and my Movies...

It goes thru a 10/100 Mbit switch and planning on adding more internal hard drives and ethernet drives later on ..

6. iMan G5 macrumors member

7. jaimem macrumors newbie

iPhil has the right idea. Its basically an AppleTv! I'm using an old G4 for that now!

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Or me.... :D

I wish I had an extra desktop system laying around to use for DVR purposes and a file server.

Actually, what I'd like is one desktop system which all the iPods (and future iPhone) in the house sync from and would feed an :apple:TV. It would also be the main storage system for all photo's. This would offload all this functionality from my laptop and would not require me to put a 250 or 320GB drive in my MBP (coming in January...)