What to do with my wonky iPhone, spares or repairs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by big_malk, May 17, 2008.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I bought an 8GB iPhone from America (I'm in the UK) a few months after they first came out, I activated it and it worked fine (WiFi, YouTube worked great). The I tried to unlock it using anySIM, I got an error (can't remember what it was), but the WiFi stopped working, and the battery life dropped to less than 24 hours stand by. I also had problems with not receiving text, and not waking when a call came in when it was asleep.

I tried everything I could think of to sort it out, and concluded (perhaps wrongly) that the battery was physically defective and needed replaced (obviously, at this stage it wasn't worth sending it back across the pond to Apple to fix under warranty, so it did the transplant myself. It went reasonably well, but left a little cosmetic damage around the plastic bit on the back.

Currently, it is activated, but the WiFi is greyed out ("No Wi-Fi") and if left asleep on my desk with a full charge in the morning, will be dead by evening.

I replaced it with a 16GB model when they came on sale in the UK, and have had to restore it once a few days ago when iTunes said it "cannot read this iPhone", apart from that it's been great.

Since the old iPhone is sitting in a drawer gathering dust, I thought I'd see if I could find a good home for it, where it could be repaired and shine again. Or, a not-so-good home where it might be discombobulated and let another iPhone, perhaps one with a broken screen, shine again.

Anyone think they can help my iPhone?
    Put it on eBay as spares or repairs?

2. kenkenken macrumors newbie

i have a solution

you can give it to me...ill even pay shipping!:)

3. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

4. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

HA I'd sell it for a fair price... or free with overpriced shipping :p

Yip, I've followed every guide I could find that sounded like it might help. Including restoring the baseband, upgrading/downgrading the OS, and 100 other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

5. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Did you try to restore on itunes?
    or you can give it to me :p