What to do with no alt key in Parallels? etc.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by PNGento, Apr 3, 2013.

1. PNGento macrumors member

For example, in Parallels running Win7, how do you start task manager (ctrl, alt, del)? Is there a way to program a key to function like the alt key? And if so, does the Apple control have the same functionality as the Windows ctrl key?

Other than that, I love how well Parallels handles Windows, but for a couple of combination key strokes that don't translate well to an Apple system.

TIA,

Rob

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

The Option is the alt key. Ctrl+Option/Alt+Del

3. PNGento thread starter macrumors member

Hmm...on a PC, if I want task manager (to shut down an unresponsive program), the ctrl/alt/del is the keystroke sequence...but when I try ctl/option/del...nothing happens...no task mgr. Not sure how else to shut down an unresponsive program, but what you suggested isn't working for me anyway.

4. Phayz macrumors member

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC should bring up the task manager (does so in Boot Camp).

Otherwise, parallels may have an option to set a key-binding to bring up task manager.

5. rocknblogger, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You might be right but I just remembered that under one of the Parallels menus is a "Send Carl+alt+del to VM" option. Pretty sure it's under Virtual Machine. Sorry I'm on my iPad right now so can't check for sure.

EDIT: My apologies. I just checked on my rMBP Parallels 8.0 and the menu option that I mention above is not there. I'll have to check my other machines because it was either an earlier version of Parallels or VMWare that I was thinking of. I'll update once I get the right answer.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

as a note, remember that <- is backspace, not delete. delete is fn-<-, so it's fn-ctrl-alt-backspace to do ctrl alt del in windows.

7. PNGento thread starter macrumors member

Works beautifully. Thanks.

----------

Ah so, glasshoppa. and DUH. Damn PCs have to treat backspace different, so I should have thought of adding the fn to the delete. So, this also works beautifully. So, now, not only do I have one solution, I have two.

Thanks to everyone.