What to do with old iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dvanderkop, Oct 11, 2015.

1. dvanderkop macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2015
    I have an old iMac I just dug out of the closet, wondering what to do with it. Any suggestions before I bring it to recycle? I'm not very computer literate so I attached a couple of images. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. kazmac macrumors 603

Mar 24, 2010
    On the sliver scream
    Regardless of what you do, if you can wipe the hard drive and set it up as a new user that would be a good thing to do.

Do you have any relatives / friends that might appreciate this iMac?

Are there Apple repair shops in your area that might pay you for parts?
  3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2007
    It depends on what you want to do with it. It could run Snow Leopard or even Lion (but nothing later I think). It could have an SSD installed in it and a bit more RAM and could be a perfectly good family computer for most things. Depends whether or not you want it for that I suppose. It's certainly saleable to someone who might want it, although not worth a great deal of course.
  4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Oct 24, 2013
    Donate it to charity, give it to a friend or family member, sell it it's becoming a bit of a collectors item that model.
  5. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Sell it, give it away, donate it.

I'm sure for the right price you'd find a buyer on Craigslist or eBay.
  6. HaruAoki macrumors member

Oct 14, 2014
    I use my old imac as a media center for iTunes/Apple Tv other then that it does not use it for much more then that.
  7. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

Sep 24, 2013
    iMacs are always pretty easy to sell. My 21 incher will be for sale tomorrow hopefully when I get a new 27 retina.